Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service - Substantive Post Definition

• 11-07-2023 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I am hoping somebody within the HR world of the Public Service could help me!!

I applied for a job as a permanent Clerical Officer 10 years ago and was working in that role for 5 years. A vacancy arose in the same organisation at a higher grade in an acting capacity which I applied for and got (worked in the role for 1.5 years). While in this acting capacity, I applied for a secondment to a different organisation to fill a position that was vacant due to someone out on leave (worked in this role for 3 years). They are now telling me the original postholder is returning to their role and I will have to return to my original organisation.

When I return to my original organisation, will it be as Clerical Officer or the acting role at the higher level?

Which would be classed as the substantive post?

Regards,

Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you were only ever in an acting capacity - i.e. not formally permanently promoted - the substantive post is the CO role.

If I understand correctly what you’re saying, you will be returning to your clerical officer role as that is your permanent role (substantive), the higher grade was in an acting capacity (temporary).

Advertisement