Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BPD advice for family member

Options
  • 11-07-2023 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We have self-diagnosed our 20 year old daughter with BPD owing to the fact that she expresses feelings of emptiness, unstable relationships, fear of abandonment, impulsiveness, emotional instability, anger control, manipulative, binge eating/bulimia being mean, lying etc.

We're both healthcare workers so we know what we are doing. In reflection, for a long time, we thought it was hormonal imbalance and only saw bulimia as a problem. She is very intelligent which is a common trait for persons with BPD. We've encouraged her to talk to someone and she's gone to a psychologist twice in 3-4 months as she's not willing to open up I guess. Her brother who is 15 notices something is wrong and thinks she is mean and we should do something about it. Externally, she appears to family, neighbours et that she's a happy teenager which is not the reality. She hasn't had any trauma from childhood that we are aware of. We always shielded and protected her maximally.

Is there anything people could recommend for parents to do if a young person is unwilling to engage with a counsellor?

I even thought saying it to her that I was 99% certain she had BPD and we would do our best to support her etc but I refrained as not advisable by literature. If she's adamant she wont engage with an expert, our next step is to introduce boundaries so we can maintain our sanity and make sure our son has a normal childhood. Any advice-massively appreciated

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If you are both healthcare worker's and you “know what you are doing” then why are you on here looking for advice?

Go to your GP and ask for their help to point you in the right direction of professional experienced and impartial help.

Advertisement