Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for broadband only plan [Cork city]

Options
  • 11-07-2023 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Ok folks

contract with Eir has expired so now pay €72 pm for broadband. (FTTC) and landline

no longer use the landline so want to know are there any broadband only service providers that you would recommend?

I was also thinking of 4g or 5g mobile broadband but some people have said that it can be quite slow esp peak hours (5 - 7pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭65535

I'm with Vodafone.

FTTC - just broadband 1GB

For my landline I use https://www.irishvoip.com

about €20 a year for a landline - calls are extra.

It comes in over the broadband so I don't need the copper pair - just fibre.

Currently Voda are charging me €51 a month for the 1GB

If you have a landline number from EIR currently and you want to keep it - then keep it for now - but contact the Irish VoIP and get them to PORT THE NUMBER over to them.

In that way you will keep your landline number but pay a very low amount for the use.

(If you don't have any attachment to the number and just want a new number they can do that also)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

If you have 1GB broadband then you have FTTH and not FTTC (up to 100 Mb/Sec)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

contractors were in laying wiring to the access points on the footpath outside the house and while doing that they were checking if, in the future, access can be gained into the individual houses. Lo and behold access to our house is blocked and will require remedial work. Think they are using the ESB ducting into the ESB box which is situated in my porch

so in essence yes I have access to FTTH but they would have to open up my drive ( it is a concrete stencilled drive if you know what I mean) so am reluctant to do that as it will not look good afterwards

• Advertisement

I see no need to have a landline anymore as I haven’t used it for contact personally or otherwise hence why I want to know can I get broadband only

Three are offering 4G broadband in my area for €30 per month on 24 month contract !

is anyone on here able to let me/ us know what mobile broadband is like !

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

There is no comparison between 4G mobile broadband and fibre-based Broadband such as FTTC or FTTH. Don't just compare download speeds. There are other parameters that are just as important for perfomance - particularly latency. Latency is particularly difficult to control on mobile networks when there are a lot of other users sharing the bandwidth. Even FTTC gives you a rock-steady latency of 6ms, while you could expect anything from 20ms-100ms or worse on 4G. This is a particular problem for certain applications - eg gaming, Zoom calls etc. Even if you find performance ok on mobile when you sign up, if you are locked in to a 24 month contract, it will likely deteriorate later when more users are on the network.

It is a mistake to assume that the landline phone is adding to the cost of your bundle. The infrastructure that costs money to build is the line (most of the cost is the duct that contains the line). The line is needed for Broadband, and once it is there it doesn't cost the provider significantly more to put a phone on it. Providers take the view that customers might occasionally use the phone if it is there, and if they do, then the provider makes more revenue from the calls. Even though most local calls are free, people who use the landline for calls are most likely to do so for international calls, even incoming - so that gives the provider an opportunity to earn extra revenue. Don't expect a discount for dropping the landline phone - as the provider is losing an opportunity to make additional revenue.

Instead, see if you can get an additional discount by adding other services to your bundle. Eir offer 5G SIM-only mobile service for €9.99pm, This is an extremely competitive price for mobile. If you add mobile(s) to your bundle, you will probably cut the cost vs your existing provider. Eir also offer TV for €9.99pm, so if you are paying another provider for TV service, this will almost certainly save you money. Also - eir don't advertise it, but you can do multi-room TV without paying any additional monthly fee, unlike the other TV providers - if you purchase your own Apple TV boxes outright for the extra rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

If you're happy enough to stick with FTTC Digiweb have an offer for 34.95 a month for 12 months. Decent modem, they're a great company and comes with landline calls and mobile mins included too if you rather just keep the number even if you don't use it. I've heard they're usually good to get a recontract price off after the initial 12 months but I'm not with them long enough to be able to comment on recontract price. https://digiweb.ie/hot-deals/

Vodafone now have a 40e price point per month and it increases each year by CPI +3%. Their customer care though is painful.

Mobile broadband works great for some people who can't get a reliable broadband connection through the landline but its generally not as solid as FTTC would be all depending on what speed you currently get on your FTTC...

Eir would probably give you a recontract discount if you called them up to resign for another 12 months just don't sign for 2 years, there's no real benefit

Will try Eir (1901) again see what they offer though last week it was bout €65 a month (and two mobile phones) - am on GOMO for the two phones so have no interest on changing mobile phone providers at the moment (€9.99 on GOMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'd be sticking on GoMo there at 9.99 a month and just haggle with them for a better broadband only price. If not then just switch provider

Been offered Eir complete for €41 per month for landline and broadband so though a fiver more than last year still good option so will probably go with that

Sorry - yes that's what I meant - I saw them on the 'curb' footpath installing it.

It is indeed a fibre into the home

EIR- I'd rather listen to chalk being screeched across a blackboard than even talk with EIR

Advertisement