Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What items are consistently vastly overpriced in Ireland compared to UK

Options
  • 12-07-2023 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of items that I buy now and again, that occasionally drop drastically in price in Ireland compared to their usual price. On checking the drop is usually only to the same price as their normal RRP in the UK.

Examples:

Douwe Egberts Coffee - Supervalu / Dunnes / Tesco normally have this for €13.99. The normal price in the UK (Asda) is about £6.75. Dunnes drop the price every month or two for about a week to €7 (it's €7 now). Still overpriced in my mind but the missus likes it. So I stock up whenever the price drops. And use the €5 off €25 or €10 off €50 to get another 20% off.

Results for “douwe” - Tesco Groceries

Haagen Daaz Ice Cream - Supervalu / Dunnes / Tesco normally have this for about €7. The normal price in the UK (Asda) is about £4. The shops here drop the price every so often to about €4.

I was wondering if there are any other items that have huge jumps like that. It seems like they have some type of collusion as the 3 chains are similar at the much higher prices while just north of the border, Tesco / Asda seem to have them at the much cheaper prices consistently. We go north every couple of months so I'm trying to identify items that make it really worthwhile. Best bang for buck type of stuff. I'm not bothered stocking up to save 1%. I'll stock up if it saves 30%

E.g. Dunnes dropped their price on Douwe Egberts yesterday. We were out of stock at home and I can't justify paying €14 for a jar of coffee so it was on the list for our next trip north. Don't need to now.

Comments

Advertisement