Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have enough work for a sheepdog

• 12-07-2023 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am running 85 ewes on fragmented land in different blocks - i am on my own 90 percent of the time and to move sheep anywhere i am trying to organise help or load into trailers.

My question is is 85 ewes enough to justify having a sheepdog? i dont want to have the case where a dog is not being worked enough and then issues arise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

It's not the amount of ewes you have but the amount of times a week you move them that will tell you if you have the work for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I have roughly the same amount of ewes and have a dog. Shes a great help as I can handle the sheep with just her. And she doesnt moan that shes too busy or its too wet etc !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

if possible try get a dog content to potter around the yard with you or wait at the house door while you have tea. Nothing worse than a dog going out on its own working sheep or a dog you need to keep tied when not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

I had a dog who waited for me to get home so their might be a chance to move cattle or sheep. Even of you offered her food work came first. In fairness she never attempted to work without me. A good one will know alot more than we give them credit for. Sadly mine passed away and I won't be getting another.

Advertisement