Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrong name on car registration

Options
  • 12-07-2023 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just bought a car and the first name that came on the car registration is completely different to my own name.

I've tried ringing the motor tax office and it seems their lines are always closed. I really don't understand how my name got mixed up with this name it's definitely not a typo it's a completely different than my own name. My name is not even hard to spell and sounds nothing like this new name.

Can I just show up at my local tax office or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Did you buy the car from a garage? Go back to them if you did, they made the error when registering the car to you.

If you bought privately, who filled in the back of the cert (where new owner name and address is entered) - if it was the previous owner, did they get your name wrong?

Send the cert back to Shannon with a covering letter outlining the error in name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I think there is a change of name section on the back of the cert. That in and as gipi said, send it to Shannon with a covering letter.

Those things actually do get handled by a human in the office, rather than a computer and my experience of them has always been grand. I’m sure they see these errors everyday.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Don't waste your time calling, as others have said just fix it in the appropriate section of the VRC and send it back with a cover note explanation. The address is on the VRC and it's freepost so you don't even need a stamp.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement