Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe or Trough Size - which matters more

Options
  • 12-07-2023 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Need to improve water system covering around 20ac and I see troughs are gone expensive - had originally thought a 3/4" pipe with a 300gl troughs would be plenty - but now I'm wondering would a 1" pipe with a 150gl troughs (€100+ cheaper per trough) make much difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How many cattle are you going to graze on the 20 acres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Up to 60 cows at the one time, maybe ~6 water troughs for 12 paddocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

The pipe is a better investment. Bigger troughs can easily be fitted down the line. A bigger pipe is a tad more awkward 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bigger pipe all day, idealy all the way from the pump. That would be 24 hr paddocks may be no harm to put in a few 36 hr paddocks as well would allow a bit of flexibility grazing wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d put in 1” pipe with the big drinkers. You’ll only have to do it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

For 60 cows 3/4 inch and 150 gal troughs more then adequate ,I have 60 gal. trough and half inch with good pressure for 60 cows and it never failed .Unless you have poor pressure I would keep the costs down ,fittings for inch way dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Get concrete troughs. cattle cannot pull them all over the place if empty

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement