Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Upgrade

Options
  • 12-07-2023 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭

I have a Asus B350-Plus with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU AM4 and stock fan.

It's a self build and i admit I cheaped out on the CPU at the time.

It's just a general desktop PC. Nothing fancy going on it. The current CPU doesn't support Windows 11.

I am looking to upgrade to Ryzen 9 5600X.

I have just updated the BIOS to the latest version and the cheapest I can find the CPU is Amazon.de. Cheapest in Ireland is Komplett replacement.

Reading up on this it's seems this CPU runs hot. Will the stock fan do or do I need something better?

Any suggestions for a new cooling fan?

Anything I am missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Stock cooler is fine. Unless you are overclocking or running some big beast CPU the returns on after market coolers are limited. How is your cases airflow? This could have a far bigger impact.

Post edited by Coyler on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Pretty good I think. I'll try the stock cooler and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can buy a Thermalright cooler for €20 that'll keep almost any CPU in check.

https://amzn.eu/d/0IAPhql

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That CPU will not get really hot just using the PC for general use. I have a 5800X so it should run hotter than the 5600X and I have a cheap cooler on there and it is silent when browsing, watching videos(netflix, youtube etc..) or looking a pictures and other general PC use cases. I also do game every now and then and it doesn't get hot then either. Now if I was running benchmarks or really pushing it then yes it would get hot but the cooler is well able to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU AM4

The current CPU doesn't support Windows 11.

Some other factors might have effect, but you might want to research this bit more....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have checked. It's just the processer that it fails on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is this what M$ build-in checking "tool" tell you? M$ do tell a lot ...

Go for "outside the box" search

anyway, upgrade is good option too.

Advertisement