Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awkward lock childproofing

Options
  • 12-07-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

The kids (4, 2) and I are living with my elderly parents for the foreseeable future. I need to childproof their front door in a way that people with arthritis in their hands can undo. I got a Dreambaby lock, but I can barely open it and my mother has no chance. The handle is a lever and the door needs to be openable from the outside. Just to make it even worse, there’sa window right next to the handle

Please help! We live on a relatively busy road and the kids are 100% able to open the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Would it be possible to fit a chunky security chain to the door and joint high enough out of reach of the nippers so even if they do open the door they wouldn't be able to get through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The door needs to be openable from either side as family are always in and out.

I don’t think I’ll be able to find what I really want as I’m probably looking for too much. I might just get an alarm so I’ll know if the door opens.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A new door with the handle higher? Or an extra handle added to the door. If the door will always be unlocked/open as people will always be in and out you could get a lock that needs a key from the outside (key always in the door) and is a lever on the inside but too high for little people.

My parents have something like this on their front door and we were all about 7-8 before we could reach it!

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Advertisement