Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague doing the staff roster.

• 13-07-2023 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all so I'm looking for some advice regarding work. I work in retail and in the last 6 months the staff roster has clearly become unfair and we have since discovered that a staff member is doing it. It's got to the stage where I'm down money at least every two weeks.I have gone to a manager but got no where. My colleague was picked by her pal the old store manager to do the daily roster but is now doing the weekly one as well. We can all clearly see her pals are all being looked after and other staff members have gone to management and complained only to be given less hours. I feel I need to complain again but I really can't afford to have my hours cut. I have got a place on a course in UCC in September part time and I have to pay fees etc. I feel if I say anything they won't accommodate me and give me a reference for a new job.Im on good money but the stress doesn't seem worth it. The last time I spoke to the manager he told me I was playing the victim. I really want out of there but I have kids and a mortgage so I need the job and I'm afraid of jumping from the frying pan into the fire with another retail job. Help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many hours per week is your contract for?

How many hours are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You've gone to the manager and say you got nowhere. Surely the manager said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Make sure all conversations from now are via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pixielena

Thanks for the comments. So basically I have a 35 hour contract and do 4-5 double time shifts a month. I'm getting 28 hours a week and two tops double time shifts. Manager told me it's about the needs of the business, and that he doesn't see my issue. I went to the shop steward who told me half the shop has complained but have got nowhere. Head office won't engage. She is bringing it to the WRC and has a date for September. I'm job hunting. ☺️Don't need this stress in a retail job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If half the shop has complained, then I'd guess that the person doing the roster isn't getting enough hours to allocate to give everyone what they're contracted for. Her"pals" are simply the people who recognised that they need to get on well with her.

The fact that it's a non-management employee drawing up the roster is irrelevant. A manager would have to make the same choices about who does/doesn't get hours.

You're right to look for a new job. And when you get one, manage your relationship with the roster person carefully. Also, never rely on getting premium rate shifts.

Yes, this sounds harsh. But retail (and hospitality) are like that. There's nothing kind about pretending otherwise.

Officially things are still rosy with low unemployment and difficulty getting staff. But there are signs that things are starting to turn. Your cut hours is part of a bigger trend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement