Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Moof Gone Bang..

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

So these bikes are totally locked without some interaction with an app?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is an open source work around for it but technically yes. The competitor is taking advantage of the fact that you can work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had to replace the LED headlight on my bakfiets. It took over six years of constant use, but it went eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yep, like an electrical component they have a shelf life and will eventually fail. The life span is usually very long though and will be dependent on use. I'd be more concerned with water ingress or something effecting it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just on the problem with bespoke parts (not a bespoke part, but a very particular part in this case). Brompton had a major crisis early on when the manufacturer of Sturmey-Archer hubs looked as if it was going under (can't remember whether it was S-A itself, or an Asian manufacturer that had taken over production), and they started trucking in as may of the hubs as they could find and hoarding them. It must have seemed an unlikely problem when they started, as those hubs had been ubiquitous in England for most of the 20th century.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We've had a few in the house fail. Though I suspect it could be an inbuilt transformer rather than the bulb itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Think the app is now live for iPhones with an Android version in the works.

Separately, my cc company has come good and has refunded me the full cost of the Van Moof that I no longer expect to receive.

I can't believe that I am asking this but any views on Cowboy bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's great news.

I know noting about cowboy bikes but looking at the clips on their website none of those riding the bike look comfortable on it. 🤣

They all look to be following a similar design model so I'd imagine more or less the same as VM. Must be the hipster in me but I think they'd look cool with a set of mag wheels 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Cowboy get mixed feedback - they do have an odd riding position but others love how simple they are to ride with no gears etc, and some think they look cool. They also seem to have reliability issues, and I'd wonder where you would get to fix them in Ireland.

I would have the exact same concerns about them as I would about Van Moof though - reliance on an app, and non-standard parts. They are burning through cash so hard to tell if they will still be around in two years. Even if there are solutions to keep the app up and running, outside of the frame and steerer you have the battery, controller / electronics, lights & torque sensor which are all proprietary, and the motor seems to be some sort of customised Bafang. Any of these could go and if they do, if the company doesn't exist anymore there is a huge risk of a worthless single speed bike. When they first launched they were 1500 euro-ish, but they are no longer any cheaper than something with Shimano / Bosch parts.

Canyon Precede for example has a Bosch motor / battery and Shimano drivetrain for 1000 euro less. Canyon are also annoying for proprietary parts but I would be more confident in them sticking around for 5 years than Cowboy. Or you could pick up something like a Cube from a local bike store and have somewhere to bring it back to whenever anything goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Gone from being dropped into the Broomwagon.. You'd wonder would someone buy the IP and fold it into an existing bike range, and use stuff that can be serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its a wonder they didnt go bust quicker.

Leaving aside their proprietary parts and issues with servicing, it seems that the motor was not terribly powerful so for anywhere with hills (so, places where a motor would be of use) you'd be better off with a proper electric bike with a bosch or similar motor.

And leaving that aside, how do you charge it ? The vast majority of city dwellers in Europe live in an apartment and you cannot simply bring a lump of a bike up the stairs into your gaff. You park it outside or if you are lucky in a bike cellar - neither of which have power available.

And leaving that aside, the cool looking version of the bike is FAR to flippin big, and the others look quite ugly.

So, if you own a house, and are 6foot or over, and dont have too many hills, and are prepared to over 3grand for a bike thats not as powerful as other options at the price point - you'd be the target market for a van moov - which was never a long term business case.

You can't take the battery out to charge it? and i thought the motor was a standard 250W job, i.e. EU legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Battery is in the crossbar and is not removable for charging. Not an issue for me but when I was in Amsterdam recently there were dozens of VanMoofs locked up outside appt blocks and houses. I guess people charge them at work...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You need to look up a YouTuber named Big Clive, he does teardowns of electronics, including several LED bulbs

In general the LEDs should last years, but due to some....cost savings, the regulation of current through them isn't great

So they sort of get slow cooked in the cheap LED bulbs and fail after a few years

Ironically the best LED bulbs are only sold in Dubai, they're specifically made by Philips and were commissioned by the Sheikh. They're a much more robust design, and of course costs considerably more

As part of the deal, Philips were only allowed to sell the bulbs in Dubai for the first 5 years or something

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I know a few owners. I has a spin on one. You don't really need a lot of power\torque if you are only commuting around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

https://www.theverge.com/24009091/vanmoof-scooter-next-steps-parts-service-e-bikes

Back from the brink, perhaps, or not. A kitesurfing Ceo isn't neccessarily an asset.

Advertisement