Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2023

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Will be more than happy if they stick with him

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Exciting last 10 mins in the Arg Oz match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yea, I just arrived back for the last 10 mins. some action.

Some finish to the Aussie v Argentina game.

You'd have to think Aus will lose 3 from 3. Delighted for Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

A real pet peeve of mine when Arg scored the last, the Aus 17 dived head first no arms directly at the rib cage of the argy on the ground! Absolute cowardly carry on! I don’t think the fact a try was scored should offset that nonsense! Rant over! Great game all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Any replays of that last sequence? Aussies were adamant that there was a knock on in the lead up, but Peyper didn't want to hear it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Looking for clips to have a go at a ref you don't like? Say it ain't so, Johan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cant wait for the eddie jones interview now…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Australia were struggling long before Jones took over, but they haven't improved like I thought they would. They're still incredibly indisciplined and leaky in defence.

Look an awful lot like England in Jones's last 18 months as head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agree with this. But I reckon that they don't have quality front row lads. I think it's a weakness for them and they can't field a top rate tight five.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How about Tonga beating that Australia A side? Reason to be worried?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If your Scottish, yes every reason

They are to be reckoned with, but we should be more than able for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Barrett at 12 looks like it's fixed some of their problems. It's opened up the pitch for them. I felt they got a bit predictable over the last few years which is strange to say for a NZ side. They also look much better at the breakdown. A sure sign that Joe is having an affect I'd say.

South Africa are just so one dimensional. Match them up front and you go a long long way to beating them. You just know even after creating a mini break they will resort to one out runners. If they are smashing over the gain line then fine but when they're not then they will either give up pen or kick it away.

I just had a look at the highlights of that game. Tonga roared to a 24-0 lead by half time, all the big players standing out for them

However as the game progressed they became very broken in defense, and Australia scored tries against them that would be text book Ireland tries (mismatchs in midfield and then just correct execution of numbers)

I think the age of the "transfer" players is what's going to stop them from competing with the very best

But as I said above, Scotland could be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’ve been thinking for a while that NZ were for once the dark horses in the RWC but now they surely should be close to their usual position as favourites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

We really have got a dreadful draw - Tonga will be no pushover, and will be physical - meanwhile England or Oz however poor, should coast to a final -and anything can happen in a final. Its an appaling draw over all for the tounament.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Top 4 still on our side.

Ireland seem to have drifted quite a bit looking at that no? I don't have stats to hand, but I thought we were closer to the top than that a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

NZ looked good the other night but SA were very poor in defence. The midfield break for Jordan’s try and Mo’unga’s try were just really poorly defended. You could say the same for Williams’ one. I guess it’s often the way with AB tries, they stress teams and force mistakes, but still, very poor show from SA. It looked like Mo’unga, BB, and Jordan just had a lot of time on the ball to pick their passes and kicks, so much for what I would have expected from SAs defence. Smash the breakdown isn’t enough in 2023 and I wonder if a more settled and focussed SA side would have given as easy a ride o NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I am totally OK with being this far down the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There was quite a bit of negative talk about NZ last year and before, often from their own supporters. I thought it was overdone then. The same teams keep on rising to the top.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

England and/or Australia will probably have to face one of South Africa/New Zealand/ France or Ireland in a semi final if they get that far…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks, its the quarters so that are the nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

I think NZ had a varied kicking game, with high balls, crossfield kicks and chips over the top all used. This would put some level of doubt into the minds of the defensive players.

Right now, NZ have gamebreakers from 10-15. Every one of them could do something to turn a game with individual brilliance.

I had a quick look at highlights of the NZ XV vs Japan as well. There is some decent depth in NZ rugby at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

NZ biggest weakness is probably defensive decision making in the centers. Relatively inexperienced compared to their counterparts in France, SA and Ireland. Is ALB in contention for the WC?

yes, ALB is available. he hasnt played in the first two TRC games because hes banned for a head shot in the SR final.

I dont really have any questions about Jordie Barrett in defense at 12. Hes a physical monster at 12 yet hes incredibly fast which allows him to be less exposed in his decision making, plus hes a very intelligent player.

Theres questions about Reiko in defense, but hes after getting 3 full seasons at 13 under his belt and hes started the last 9 rugby championship games in a row at 13, and all 3 of the ireland tour. He hasnt yet been exposed in this years TRC and part of that, in my opinion, is down to the organisation of B Barrett at 15. Reiko isnt nonu and can still be exposed, but he certainly doesn't lack experience with 22 starts in the 13 jersey for NZ. i think thats part of the reason why there are attacking the ruck so ferociously recently, they give the midfield a few extra seconds to set.

while as a center partnership they certainly arent anywhere near de allande/ Am, Danty / Ficou or Henshaw / Ringrose, i dont see the new zealand midfield as a major point of weakness. I see their front row as a bigger weakness.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree with what you implied with your last point.

SA made a complete mess of the prep for this. Seems like another coaching set-up that has fallen in love with their perceived depth and what that can do for training. If they were trying to be too smart in thinking they were gaining an edge by sending the 'first team' it blew up in their face, with their players looking completely undercooked. It was their one chance in nearly a near year gap to get a proper competitive runout against a top tier nation before they face Ireland in the WC and wasted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

I don't think you're giving NZ enough credit. I don't think any team would have coped with the way NZ played in the first 15-20 mins. It's all about riding that part of the game out and getting a foothold in the match.

SA still play NZ again next month at Twickenham, so I'd say we'll have a better indication of where they're at in that match.

Advertisement