Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which adapter do I need?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would not be using those on a moving unit as i have one on laptop beside me and pull the dam thing out when i move it with my foot

The one on post 25 looks better

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Thanks all.

I won't cut and rewire as the unit is splash proof and I would rather keep the original integrity of the unit which is sealed through to the plug.

Unit is 1,800w ÷ 240 v = 7.5 amp so I think it's all safe to use a basic converter.

I'll take a look at the converter on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

For your sake and the safety of future readers of this thread - with any devices above ~5A you really should replace the European plug with a suitable 13A BS type plug, even if it the existing one is molded onto the wire. The existing 16A plug isn't really any more splashproof than the socket which it goes into and you are really increasing the risk of a localised fault (such as a burnt connection) with a converter. In addition some converters do not carry the earth through and that can present a bigger hazard to the user.

If you really must continue to use the European style plug then either invest in a locking two or three-pin converter, much like these shown below:

Another option would be to buy a good quality European plug-to-socket extension-lead and replace the head with a 13A BS plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

How long since ordering has it been and how long did they say it would take , has it a tracking number.

+ do you have a left handed screwdriver for your plug😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

The plot has thickened. The plug is a16a CEE 7/17 plug and is unearthed. Usually used for hair dryers and vacuums.

I'm really nervous as nobody can confirm for certain that if I put the plug off, it will absolutely be possible to rewire it to a 13a Irish plug. It's easy for anyone to just say "slice the plug off and pop on another" when it's not their risk. Is there anyone who can confidently say that it will be fine to do that? And I won't be looking at a different wire setup in the cable when it's already sliced.

Reminder that the device is well below the Amapage at about 8a max.

With as much confidence as an effective randomer on the internet can provide, this is the easiest thing to complete.

Lob the top off, expose the lengths of cable, identify the live and neutral and wire the live (brown) into the fused part of the plug making sure that it has the shorter of the two lengths, wire the blue into the neutral, fit a 13A (brown) fuse if not already fitted, review the wiring once more (take photos and upload if you wish), close the plug and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

IT ARRIVED! Now what? Husband says he 'looked up a video' and will have a go but 'it might not be the safest'. Can anyone reassure me with this or is it a horrible idea and I should just leave it in the box gathering dust forever? Was the adapter mentioned previously a good idea? I'd like not to die yet, especially when just trying to cook some goujons or something.

It arrived - only saw this message now! No need for any left handed objects, I'm right handed :) ;)

• Advertisement

Frankly, no-one on here is trying to pull the wool over your eyes for giggles. This is a common job which is completed by many of us almost daily.

I'd again recommend that you replace the Euro plug with a BS UK three-pronged plug rather than the converter (reason given perviously), but its your choice really.

Thank you. Sorry for being overly cautious/a nuisance, but you know how some people get their kicks nowadays online, so nothing would surprise me. Thanks for your help. (And if he watches a video is it straight forward enough?)

We're a sane enough bunch and keep each other straight.

I actually just noticed that there are two different requests in this thread, but the guidance remains the same!

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Using the airfryer would be more complicated than changing the plug if he follows the steps in the post above. Only thing he needs to do is make sure the connections are tight and all of the copper strands are in the terminal.

We powered on anyway! Haven't cooked anything in it yet, but thanks for all the help! If ye never hear from me again, it may have been an unpleasant ending! 😬

Post edited by AnnaGram85 on

One thing i will say is use your nose when cooking so the food does not get burnt as they can cook quicker than you think . Enjoy your new toy and looking forward to see photos of what you cook.

Try not to spray oil inside the unit as can make it smokey, i see many places selling silicone inserts to catch heavy oils from foods to keep it cleaner.

Thanks so much. Would you believe I set the fire alarm off last night making microwave popcorn so I'll definitely keep a close eye on this! 😅

By any chance do you have a laptop for a bigger screen as Facebook have a forum for the Twin Basket.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/843301136981867

Ohhhh thanks! I must start saving or bookmarking recipes. I look at them and think "oh that looks great!" and then scroll on to something else 😅

Yes on laptop i can save a post on the Foodi to a section called Foodi so i know recipes are there for future use.

• Advertisement

I also saw this and might be of use for some.

Some say if you have a printer copy it over. I always forget how long to cook things.

https://bestcraftsandrecipes.com/is-anyone-here-new-to.../

Advertisement