Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Drug Seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

There's evidence William Shakespeare used it (google it), Sigmund Freud took it, were they f...ing idiots

That's very true, if you support the War on Drugs

"The trail of blood and misery in other parts of the world" IS vile and for that reason, it should be LEGAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

But if we legalize it now, the caretls etc will be part of the solution. I think it makes more sense to talk about legalization when we can grow/process our own.. cutting the gangs out of the entire cycle from growing to processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How do you put 160 kilo's of coke in a Horsebox and expect not to be caught?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

You should really bring arguments with your opinions. All I read from you is that it should be legal and that it would resolve a lot of problems. However, you never explain how it would work and why it would resolve the problems mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Probably because they done it before and didn't get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Doubt if Willie or Sigmund had the pavees driving honest hardworking people to suicide because of drug debts . Anyone that contributes to the scourge of illicit drug taking/ dealing is an idiot . Full stop.

What I find bizarre about Irish society is that we facilitated the closure of many rural pubs because we couldn’t have people driving home afterwards but it has become socially acceptable to use coke. How did it come to this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

because we began growing up and realising that.

drink driving is muppetry.

people want to get high and no amount of criminalising them or criminal sanctions will stop it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

How about Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger? They both made millions from their music, received knighthoods, are constantly pestered for selfies and are still alive and kicking aged 81 and 79. If they're both idiots, then my command of the English language is not as strong as I thought. What have you achieved that those "idiots" would be jealous of? I don't know why coke is socially acceptable, maybe more people have seen through the nonsense that comes from supporters of the War on Drugs. Society changes, years ago it wasn't normal for unmarried women to have babies, now it's very common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Again, I doubt if either the Beatle or the Stone had the pavees pursuing families to the point that there was no option left for some of them but to end it all . You didn’t make any comment on that aspect of my post. Anyone contributing in any way to this should be ashamed of themselves .

I'm not a farmer but I can't see what would be too complicated in growing the coca plant legally. It's being done now with the hemp plant for marijuana, where it is legal and we've been growing plants/crops for human consumption for centuries. It should reduce/eliminate the problem of criminality, increase quality control and generate tax for governments, instead of wasting money trying to police it.

Again, statements without explaining how it would work.

How is it going to reduce/eliminate criminality?

Generate tax? Ok, how much? How much would it cost to fund the consequences (HSE, etc)?

The type of people you describe shouldn't be let near the drugs trade, that's one of the reasons, I argue for a change of law. I repeat, alcohol is a drug that causes more deaths/problems than cocaine, but I've yet to hear of a pub or off-license owner who has threatened an alcoholic or their family for unpaid debts. I don't think judging coke-users on their so-called lack of morality will cut much ice. As you said yourself, it's now socially acceptable.

"without explaining how it works" I don't know how a bottle of vodka ends up on a shelf in an off-license, but obviously other people do. "Reduce/eliminate criminality" the same way the ending of prohibition of alcohol got rid of the Al Capones and the way the legalisation of marijuana has reduced criminal involvement in places where it's legal. "how much tax", more than they're getting now, which is ZERO. With better quality control maybe there'll also be less need for the HSE.

"without explaining how it works" I don't know how a bottle of vodka ends up on a shelf in an off-license, but obviously other people do.

So you admit you don’t know how it would work. It is just your gut feeling. Nothing else.

"Reduce/eliminate criminality" the same way the ending of prohibition of alcohol got rid of the Al Capone

Another comparison where you compare apples with oranges. Even with the prohibition, you had alcool manufacturers as it was legal in other countries.

the way the legalisation of marijuana has reduced criminal involvement in places where it's legal. 

Any data so we can have an informed opinion?

maybe there'll also be less need for the HSE.

The Oregon test proves you wrong on that one. How by increasing drugs and therefore the number of consumers, do you expect less impact on health services?

it is not because you and some celebrities didn’t get addicted to it that everyone would be the same if it was legal. I know someone who got addicted and when I see the results, it is something I would want for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Anyone thinks hard drugs are going to be legalised is cracked.

Hard to even get prescription painkillers for genuine reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Yes, never met anyone who wasn't a wad or a sack who enjoyed using cocaine.

Cocaine was legal in the US at one point, as was opium in the UK.

Yes, consensual use it maybe but they are more addictive than alcohol. Using them will get you physically addicted way faster than with alcohol.

Addiction is insidious, and involves such a degree of self-deception that consent evaporates.

"gut feeling" I don't know how to produce cocaine now and it's illegal, but obviously many people do. Legalisation won't change that. I don't know how to get an airplane to fly either but others can. I never said I'd produce it personally. "Apples and oranges" it was still banned in America and run by gangsters. "legalisation of marijuana" a quick google search will tell you how many millions are taken in taxes, where it's legal, which means less than 100% of the market is controlled by criminals unlike in Ireland where they have total control. Just read up on Oregon and it was said they didn't go far enough and legalise the production and sale of drugs. They also didn't put enough resources into their health system and then the pandemic struck. Portugal decriminalized in 2001 and there doesn't seem to be any clamour for that decision to be reversed. Anyway I favour legalization not decriminalisation. Only a small minority of drug-users become addicts and many of them have had issues in their lives and used drugs to mask those problems. Also prohibition hasn't prevented that.

• Advertisement

Not in my experience. Alcohol (mostly vodka) literally, almost killed me. I spent 4 weeks in hospital, including 8 days in intensive care because of it (perforated duodenum). I can honestly say I never found cocaine addictive. I first took it over 20 years ago, would use it about 3, 4 maybe 5 times a year, last time was Christmas (2022). I don't know when or if I'll ever take it again but if someone offered me a free line or 2, I'd most likely say yes. I've never taken opium or heroin, so I can't really debate that with you.

I will leave you to it but you didn’t convince me. You don’t any idea how it would work. You keep saying it would solve many problems but without any facts.

pLast point, you say you don’t know how to bottle vodka or fly an airplane but others can, ask yourself this question: if it so obvious for you that doesn’t know all the ins and outs, why the people with the better knowledge didn’t manage to convince any country to do it?

"without facts" it's a fact that the legalisation of marijuana has generated tax income and reduced criminal involvement, where they changed the law. It's also true that high-achieving adults have used cocaine. As well as The Beatles and Stones, Kate Moss was photographed having a snort, Nigella Lawson admitted taking it, as did Katherine Jenkins, Robbie Williams and Rod Stewart. Noel and Liam Gallagher wrote and sang about it. It's also a fact that the War on Drugs has failed, 10% of illegal drugs seized, in exams, that's a fail. Could you name these people with "better knowledge", I'd like to google them. The cartels don't want to change the law, it might affect their profits adversely.

Marijuana = cocaine ? Really?

Your logic is: some celebrities used it and even wrote about it so it is ok. How many died because of it? Why you don’t mention them?

Ask Oregon state why they didn’t go all the way or any other countries that legalised marijuana bit not cocaine.

The cartels don't want to change the law

Cartels don’t decide the law but were they happy with the change of marijuana?

"Marijuana = cocaine" they have something in common, they're both illegal in Ireland and I don't believe they should be. "how many died?" over 99% did NOT die from the experience. Also we don't ban things 'cos a small minority of people die from their use. People have died using motorbikes, cars, ships and airplanes, but those modes of transport are still legal and rightly so. "Cartels don't decide the law", I saw a documentary on National Geographic, a Peruvian lawyer (fluent English) who did work for them said, they fund anti-drug candidates' election campaigns so that coke won't be legal. I doubt they were "happy" about the legalisation of marijuana but it happened anyway and rightly so, hopefully cocaine is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The Washington Post reports that Portugal's decriminalisation approach isn't working out so well:

Snippet:

"Overdose rates have hit 12-year highs and almost doubled in Lisbon from 2019 to 2023. Sewage samples in Lisbon show cocaine and ketamine detection is now among the highest in Europe, with elevated weekend rates suggesting party-heavy usage. In Porto, the collection of drug-related debris from city streets surged 24 percent between 2021 and 2022, with this year on track to far outpace the last. Crime — including robbery in public spaces — spiked 14 percent from 2021 to 2022, a rise police blame partly on increased drug use."

The Washington Post also said "It is hard to imagine how anyone could doubt that Iraq possesses weapons of mass destruction." They later apologized for their disgraceful support for the Iraq invasion which caused 100s of thousands deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Astartes

The majority of crime connected with drugs comes from disagreements between gangs which are forced to use violence.

Anto can't sue Deco for that few bags he owes for.

Legalise it.

Okay. I am stopping here. It is my last post about your “arguments”.

No point discussing further. Your facts are just your thoughts that are backed with nothing. You have no idea how it would work and what would be the impact. You keep comparing cocaine with everything else as if they were equals.

• Advertisement

Was that a regular use or from a session with vodka?

Your experience cocaine use isn't typical of most users, AFAIK.

I agree though, alcohol can be really damaging. Like any drug. But just not as physically addictive as coke or opiates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement