Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Idles were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Watching it here but god who even goes to that, at this hour, at Glastonbury. So much choice you could be mad out of it in some tent somewhere with banging techno and great vibes. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭RINO87

WHich iplayer channel for Fontaines? Using el dodgo boxerino.....just has 5 Glastonbury channels, but they're not split up in the usual stages.

Dua Lipa was enjoyable, but enough of that now!! She is only lovely tho.....and great to see a star as big as her with sone humility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I thought the only bit that was a suspect was when she was out in the crowd on the mini stage thing...looked a lot like miming there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I switched back over to Dua Lipa, and seemed she was doing a for TV performance...odd so quickly back over to Idles.

Curious, did she bring up Palestine in the performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Idles was an immense show, they're energy and presence is something else.

Fountaines did well, not sure if it's his style or not but his energy usually failed to match the band, also think they had a meteoric rise to fame, maybe before they were ready, but look to be turning a corner a bit now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

wait what…… she didn’t do the Barbie song……

Feck that…

Take the smallies to it before ya send them off to bed so you can go lose your mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Balls didn't realise Fontaines were on tonight too

After Sleaford mods, there isn't a lot too see on the TV for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Just imagine how great the 1975 wuda been headlining tonight!! Dua Lipa was good tho, way better than artic monkeys last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

It was funny the BBC presenters were hyperbole wondering "how Dua Lipa remembered all that Choreogrpahy!" and then asking Fontaines DC were they nervous and how thought it went.

They were speaking as if these bands just stepped on stage at Glasto with a fresh show/set and saw how it went for first time and aren't polished tour acts.

jaysus going to the friday night superstar headliner at the pyramid stage instead of being out of it in a sweaty tent to techno, madness!

as you say though each to their own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Sugar babes with some decent tunes and less boring than Dua Lipa. With a name like Siobhán Donaghy she has to have Irish connections?

Paul Heaton as good as ever. The Mary Wallopers are made for live festival like this.

Sugababes looked class there its mad even an act like that have like a 10 piece band :D if only we could have actually heard them at ATN they had huge sound issues could barely hear them.

Paul Heaton very good - wouldn't mind seeing him pop up at a festival here but i don't think theres enough of his demo really at any irish festival so its always going to be St annes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah .couldn't watch that .

Fontaines DC excellent..proper live music,

And followed up with PJ Harvey replay on BBC Four ..sublime!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes.

They have toured all over the world .

But hey Dua Lipa has all her dancing down 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭geographica

No unfortunately and a suspicious lack of Palestinian flags on camera in the crowd

No she wasn’t, she had two backing singers picking up the slack

Untrue, she had a full band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Dua Lipa was definitely miming. It fell apart and very noticeable towards the end of the set when understandably she looked very tired. The "all killer no filler" approach didn't work, the set needed better pacing. A ferocious amount of pop hits but more suited to the fitting room of H&M/Zara than a Glastonbury headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

PJ Harvey was brilliant

That weird scrambled eggs song was pretty cool. Can’t recall name of act

Was looking forward to seeing what Dua lipa was like live….. good dancer, crap at miming. I’m not her target audience though. I’d be disappointed if I was at that live.

Paul Heaton was good.

Thought sugababes were really good. Mutya would bate the head off ye.

Looking forward to Coldplay tonight. They are usually excellent live. Thankfully won’t be a hint a mime

she was very much miming(threw the odd few lines out)to the point she forgot to mime some lines at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Wooderson

She wasnt.

There were even mistakes made. Kevin and Dua laughing as they had to repeat a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I enjoyed Dua Lipa, I did wonder about the miming too. Is there a new way of performing? With the likes of these solo artists with a lot of dancing involved is there a heavy leaning on the backing singers? So when it comes to the artist it looks like they're miming but they are actually carrying off part of the tune? There was a small nod to the Barbie song, wonder why she didn't play it...maybe it didn't go with the whole theme. The crowd seemed to have a blast anyway.

ETA: Loved Paul Heaton. His voice is amazing. Lovely to see Norman Cook join him too 🥰. I saw Heaton on one of these Sunday Brunch shows before and he said about only paying small venues so the ticket prices aren't too much for the fans or something?

I checked 3 times during one of her opening songs and she was definitely miming part of the song. Others she did sing a bit. More emphasis on the show rather than the actual performance. Wasn’t the worst but not my cup of tea ☕️

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thought the first half of Dua Lipa was a bit boring, almost too polished and rattling off the numbers, not really a festival show, Very fast paced, Was a bit better second half with a bit more crowd interaction. Overall enjoyable and seems a quite likeable person.

Thought she was miming in places too though.

Pj Harvey was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Shank Williams

I find Idles more contrived then Dua Lipa in many ways- just can’t warm to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

There is nothing more contrived than polished production pop music. God awful in my opinion. Coldplay actually gone down that route too.

I can understand you not warming to Idles, I'd say many would be with you in that but I don't find them contrived in many ways. Just organised chaos

Advertisement