Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭morphy87

How quickly after ploughing could you start working on it to have it ready to sow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Field I reseeded in early September is after taking some battering from the rain last few weeks and spots of it are now under water.

I'm wondering what chance has the grass that's currently under water of surviving before it rots and I have to do it all over again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭limo_100

Is it too late now this year to finish a reseed got it ploughed 3 weeks ago and there's being no change to finish it would I be as well to leave it off until the spring time now? it is heavy ground. But I have it mole ploughed since June.

TBH it should be long done it was in bird cover and contractor is asked since may. 😐️

I think it should be ok there a dry week next week so that should help it, is the grass up? Very little you can do for it this year anyway if theres bare spots in the spring you could broadcast some seed when doing the fertilizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yeah the grass came up nicely in fairness but can't see it now in the flooded spots

Id say it will be ok then. I done some reseeding earlier in the year and I got a cut off it in arable silage in that good week in sept but Jesus the ground was very tender. It has come back well and got very green but I wont be putting any stock on it this year it would be ripped to shreds. Is this normal for ploughed ground? just to note its also hilly ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, the root system would be very weak. It could only take light stock or sheep the first year.

and will the skin get tougher on it as I was disappointed that it was so delicate even in the dry week we got as I though ploughing was suppose to let the water flow through the soil

There is little root mass in the new sod, so animals hoofs will go down through it. It will improve.

• Advertisement

Would it be the same if it was just harrowed and not ploughed? As I have more to do next year and it would be part of the cows run so might not be able to mind it as easily after being seeded?

You might consider a multi species sward. The plantain and chicory have deep roots. Some grasses too, other than perennial ryegrass have bigger root mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Reseeding done here this year with disk and then power harrow, land is very tender, i'd leave tracks myself walking through it in wellies, of course the exceptional rain is'nt helping.

Seeded late August.

Lime also makes it tender. No more than 2t/acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭happylad

Hi I reseeded ground in the 26th Aug after disc harrowing and then power harrow. Ground was burned of and lime applied beforehand. I applied a grass mix with clover through it. Grass has come on the finest but I assume it will need some post emergence spray. It's like hens teeth to get clover safe spray but a mate has 2no db plus he said I can use. Is this as good as clovermax. Being honest I can't get any so I'm sure it will be fine. Ground is very soft ATM.

I hear mixed reports on it tbh but may try some red clover on a 5acre field that's away for the place and it's a pain getting cattle to and from it. but it would probably be maybe slightly heavy for red clover.

What is your plan with it? you gonna leave it until the spring or will you get out with light stock before xmas. I was thinking off leaving stock off mine and going with 3 bags of 10-10-20 and 1-2 weeks later 1 bag of Nitrogen and taking a cut off it and then prob do a second cut just to mind it.

They sprays are almost the same make up so it wouldn't matter which one you use. TBH I didn't get mine done as It was two wet and I didn't want to do any harm. will go with eagle next spring if weather allows.

I done 2tonne to the acre but that's nearly 4 months ago now so the effects of it should be worn off now I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Dunedin

New reseeds are better off being grazed than let grow and cut. Grazing helps tillering, ideally sheep if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭DBK1

Both sprays have the same active ingredients so should be identical but for some reason there is one major difference between the two that your sprayer man won’t like.

Clovermax doesn’t like hard water. If hard water is used it crystallises in the sprayer and will block all the filters and nozzles and can be a nightmare to clean out. DB Plus doesn’t do this. Clovermax is fine when used with soft water or rain water.

• Advertisement

What’s the earliest you could reseed in the spring? I have another bit to do,is the turnaround quicker in the spring? How quick after sowing in the spring would you be hoping to graze?

I have another bit of reseeding to do in the spring,what is the earliest you could reseed in the spring? How quickly after sowing would you be hoping to graze in the spring?

The other alternative in the Spring is to set wholecrop with the reseed. A mix of peas and oats/barley @ 50 kg/acre. Should have a good silage crop in July if planted in April. The only downside for me this year is that the gulls and crows ate all the peas before sprouting. The peas are to up the protein in the silage.

I done this with my my seed will be interesting to see how it feeds out I only got it in sept and got a bad yield with the bad summer but still should be great feeding. Barely and peas. Probably would have got on better with a 3 way mix including oats as they would have done better this year.

Was considering doing a red clover lay next year could this be added to a red clover reseed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Options are very simple reseed in mid to late April or reseed at first opportunity with a companion crop. Have done the companion crop the last 2 years on silage ground. It was grazed twice and year 1 was just barley and grass sown mid april. The 2nd this year was another bit to ground and it was oats and peas sown early may. Grass got a great strike due to a bit of cover for the dry spells. Serious clover strike in the spring

Both were pitted in mid July and back grazing by early August. Personally I would never reseed in the back end of the year after trying this. On the barley silage cattle went mad for it. Wait on test results of the oats and peas silage. Currently having it's 2nd grazing.

You will lose a small bit but not that much to the birds. Weather tends to be on your side at that time of the year. Have done it ithe broadcast seed and covered with the chain Harrow.

Would work perfect with red clover. Small thing I was told. Barley for the dry ground oats for the heavy ground. Oats did some thrive this year

I know it's rare but lost 95% of the peas to birds this year. Would definitely set it again when reseeding. Think the oats might be a bit greedier than barley in the mix.

Now is not an option ground is saturated where I was thinking of doing

• Advertisement

All these are spring options. Reseeding for this year is finished everywhere. Personally trying to reseed after the 15th of august is just too risky trying to get post emergence and a grazing done by winter

Advertisement