Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it safe to have 2 chest x-rays near to each other?

Options
  • 16-07-2023 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I had a chest x-ray in March 2023 and another one a couple of days ago at the hospital. is it safe to have them that close to each other and should I be careful if I ever need another one this year or next? what is safe re xrays amount re radiation etc?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes perfectly safe, I had 2 within 24 hours and probably 4 over a month with a small bone breakage and resetting.

• I was curious about this before so while shooting the breeze with the radiographer I asked her and she said the maximum recommended amount of x-rays in a lifetime is 10,000 and something like 25/30 CT scans.

There's no limit on how many you can have within a given amount of time. If your doctor wants you to go for an x-ray, you go for the x-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Brilliant, thank you was just thinking about it and wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The equipment these days is much more sophisticated than previously. The radiation dose is much lower and the information gained is much better.

The two main concerns are with pregnancy and the radiological staff themselves - if they didn't use the shielded booths, they would be exposed to potentially 100+ x-rays per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

This was on the wall of the last place I got an x-ray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement