Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Communion" author Whitley Strieber appearance on LLS or Kenny Live. Scary face fade up on screen.

• 16-07-2023 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember this overlooked moment in Irish chat show weirdness from the late 80's? Circa 1988 American author Whitley Strieber appeared on either the Late Late Show with Gaybo or Kenny Live to discuss his book Communion, about his alleged kidnapping by aliens. The cover picture of one of the supposed aliens has become highly influencel in the depiction of extraterrestials in pop culture and has beome famous through T shirts, bumper stickers etc.

Anyway, during the interview with either Gaybo or Pat the image of the aliens face slowly faded onscreen. I can remember watching it with my Grandmother who said something what in the name of God is that? Quite a few members of the public were freaked out and rang the show to say there was a ghostly image of this creepy face appearing on their screen.

Can anyone confirm which show it was. Strieber made an appearance on Kenny Live in 1990 to promote a follow up book but that wasn't the interview where the face fade thing happened.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I cant find anything on Irish News Archive about an earlier appearance by Strieber on either LLS or Kenny Live so it looks like it was probably the Feburary 1990 Kenny Live appearance after all. Its up on RTE Archive player but typically they dont show the whole thing and it cuts off while hes speaking mid sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭emo72

Great movie. I must try watch it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Does anyone else remember the alien face fading up onscreen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Probably Christopher Walken's weirdest film, he plays Strieber I think.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement