Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung QLED TV - Satellite System - Function not available/greyed out

Options
  • 16-07-2023 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

This has been wrecking my head for a few months. My father in law bought a new 43" Samsung QLED TV before Christmas. It has (or apparently has) a built in satellite tuner. He had a triax satellite box through which he got all of the FTA (free to air) British/UK channels. He setup the QLED himself. All is fine with the Saorview channels but the Satellite feature is showing up greyed out/disabled in the settings.

I spoke to the local retailer and he suggested a reset which I did. I tried setting the region to UK but it still won't pick up/enable the satellite function. if I try to tune in the satellite channels. It disables the saorview (terrestrial) channels.

Then, my wife's uncle got a new 32" QLED TV, with a satellite tuner and the same thing is going on with that TV.

The satellite connection at both locations is working fine. I connected up the old triax box and the box my wife's uncle was using - satellite comes through fine.

I myself, but a 39" nordmende a couple of years ago and it has both the terrestrial and satellite receivers. I can tune in both terrestrial and satellite channels and I have them filtered to show the free to air channels we watch.

Surely an expensive QLED TV should have a satellite tuner and it shouldn't be that difficult to get it working and tune in the FTA channels.

I have checked that the QLED TV's are in home mode.

Any suggestions/help or a resolution would be very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I am wondering if you have a signal on the sat tuner and gone into the settings to scan the sat 28.2 and it is a DVB/S tuner your trying to programme.

Any model number?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlX6ZtfxRGM

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think Samsung ever bothered to make it easier to utilise both terrestrial and satellite tuners.

If you're on satellite and you want to watch Saorview, you'd have to go into the tuning menus and select the terrestrial tuner, and Back out again.

LG's are similar but at least they have Shortcut options so that you don't have to always go into that rigmarole every time you want to switch tuner. I don't think Samsung/Tizen has this feature?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Actually, looking at a 2023 Samsung, if you press Channel List, there is a drop-down menu on the top left that lets you choose whichever tuner you want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When you originally set up the TV, set it up either as UK or Ireland.

UK gives you Freesat, or Satellite, or terestial. All Saorview channels will be in the 800s and lots of blank stations, all in random order - as are the satellite stations. Freesat is in order, and reordered correctly if any changes occur.

Ireland gives you Saorview stations properly ordered. Satellite gives you hundreds an hundreds of stations, many duplicated beyond belief. No Freesat option will be available to you. Saorview will be corrected for any changes.

To sort the list out, you will need lots of patience and a sorting program. Alternatively, flick through all the channels and note the numbers of the channels you want to watch.

I assume the Satellite option is greyed out because you have not scanned it yet.

https://chansort.en.softonic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just to update the thread here, just got a Samsung like this. Head melted like you. Realised you have to go into auto tune again select start to clear previous scan and press on aerial option which will default to terrestrial. Then opens 3 options satellite is the bottom. Press that and tune it .(auto)

• Advertisement
Advertisement