Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electrical Supply Isolation

• 16-07-2023 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all hope somebody can answer me this question i got asked lately.I am a qualified electrician but not in the sector anymore moved on to another area.

Will try and keep the story and facts short.

Elderly friend of the parents asked me this one

Old house circa 1950's -60 late 1999 early 2000 house rewired by local company .Shower added possibly 8-9.0kw only a guess.

Roughly six months later shower being used cooker on smell of burning in the hall way where board is

Realised it was the old on-off isolator heating up and burning emergency call to esb networks.Esb Tech out replaced the tails to the board (bypassing isolation switch)powered back up and been working that way ever since.

Now no way to isolate the mains feed to the board unless the cut out fuse was to be pulled.

.Would he require a full rewire and testing etc to have an isloation switch installed beside the meter?

THanks for the replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't think it requires testing/rewiring

Was that the old black DP main isolator (pre-mcb days) . Should have been removed when reconnecting tails on rewire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Thanks for the reply Kirk appreciate it,yes would have been dp main isolator that was rated for 60a that melted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

Has a smart meter been installed at this premises? , if not it would seem a good time to get them install a ESB isolator when the smart meter is being installed?

I was going to say but can't remember

Do they fit an isolator on a smart meter install?

I thought also esbn had a fixed charge for fitting an isolator can't remember one of the RECs would knwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

ESB networks refused to install an isolator when I was getting day night meter. May have been person on the day.

Does the old fuse board have a main fuse or fuse switch that can isolate all loads?

More importantly is the safety question, is the whole house up to the job as in is the fuse board old and worn, is the wiring old and worn, are the sockets ancient is there damp and corrosion? An isolator would be the least of my worries if there was a main fuse or switch on the board where the homeowner can cut all power if needed. Most houses dont have a separate isolator away from the fuse board.

• Advertisement

Isolators have been fitted on new work for a long time now , many will have them

You're right in that it's not a major issue imo having/not having an isolator

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

Same, would have saved a whole load of problems if they had just fitted the isolator as I'll ultimately have to get esb out again to move/reposition the meter when I get the tails done.

You're upgrading tails, is the meter is blocking the space for isolator ?

Is it car charging wired from main board in house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

The plan is a full board change with tails upgrade later this year maybe early next year once the schedule calms down, there is no ev/ev charging ATM

Ya not so good in the cabinet ,.meter in a bad location

Esbn supplies vary a lot .If you're upgrading you can check it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ESBN tend to put up a fight if you're trying to get them to put an isolator in. I had weeks back and forth with networks before I finally got mine in.

The isolator was a means for a rec to connect tails

I don't think it had any other purpose, upgrading etc.

Post edited by kirk. on

And switching off for maintenance or alterations

Advertisement