Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family 5 moving home to Ireland from USA

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Coco30

Hi

Did you move back home in the end…and if so how did it go? Hope we’ll if you did.
    Similar situation

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

Yes,before 1979 and the general election that year Ireland's was mickey mouse money-easily repaid in the time allowed.Then FF organised a giveaway of our own money.They won landslide victory and the national debt has ballooned every year since.The BAILOUT is a small part of our debt .

One poster said pay for your relatives to visit you.It's a lot cheaper to buy tickets here to travel to the US than vice versa.One particular US airline I would call notorious for their rip off fares to Ireland.

I have the same advice for my relatives in the US-stay exactly where you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Shauna677

I think you have a valid point here. OPs children are now half grown and the next few years will fly by. It would be awful if parents settled then have to possible watch, all their kids emigrate back to America again.

America is very expensive, Ireland equally so. OP will be shocked at the state of our health system, long waiting times and a system lacking in capacity in every area.

The weather is simply awful, this must have been one of the grayish and most overcast summers we have ever experienced. Expect to spend a small fortune on sun holidays.

Housing is at crisis point, think of the kids and the expense of college accommodation in the next 7 to 8 years. You may be mortgage free when you return but will the house require upgrading to modern standards?Labour costs now have reached eye watering levels.

From what you have written, I would stay with the comfortable life you have in America, maybe see if you can return to work there, start making a life for youself outside the home, new friends, new interests.

Only you can make the decision, some can make it work, others end up going back. Remember the Ireland you left will not the Ireland you will return to.

Goodluck with your decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Shauna677

Advertisement