Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of Property / Dwelling Evidence

Options
  • 17-07-2023 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm looking at a dwelling thought to be from 1930s / 1940s dwelling and trying to get evidence of the age of the property.

It's a little difficult with the building itself given alterations, refurbishment, modernisation, extensions, etc.

Just wondering what other evidence anyone can normally turn to in the way of maps, photographs, etc.

Thanks

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Electoral registers might help. Particularly if you knew who lived in the house then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

select map from 4 square icon under the word address on top left

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Thanks for responses.

Not in a position to talk to locals yet - but will do as soon as possible.

Had looked at the OS maps etc. previously - but dates don't correspond with building in 1930s / 1940s.

First edition is 1827-1834 - printed 1829 - 1841.

Last edition is 1863-1924.

If you are looking at the last edition online how do you determine the date of survey for the relevant area?

Are there any OS plans surveyed / published available online between 1924 and aerial images 1995?

Thanks

F

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Revisions were done to OS mapping in 1949 - 1953 but I can't recall if they are available online. What about the deeds for the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Land registry office/website

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Thanks all.

Checking out some of those sources - although they do not necessarily provide evidence of a building they might be useful.

No older OS Plans for the area after 1915.

F

Advertisement