Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector or Private Sector ( I know you're thinking ,,not another one of these posts,,)

• 17-07-2023 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all,

Apologies for another one of these posts, would just like to hear another insight on my situation as well, I have read most of the discussions revolving around Public sector and Private sector.

Cybersecurity role, better in the public sector or private;

Public sector - Flexibility, low wages and good pension,

Private sector - Wages significantly higher ( if you have experience ) among other things I presume it differs from company to company

For the prospect of gaining knowledge and being exposed to a good variety of tools and getting exposure to some unique experiences but also working with sensitive information would public sector be the best choice of gaining a invaluable experience for the IT (Cyber) market that will bring your career to another level that would probably take you a number of years?

Am I mistaken? Does anybody's have any insights ?

Appreciate your time to answer my post,

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

For the prospect of gaining knowledge and being exposed to a good variety of tools and getting exposure to some unique experiences but also working with sensitive information would public sector be the best choice of gaining a invaluable experience for the IT (Cyber) market that will bring your career to another level that would probably take you a number of years?

It depends on how the Government manage this over the coming years. It has already been acknowledged that the best minds in this field are being lost to the private sector due to the wage difference. At the moment you won't get the experience or depth of knowledge that certain private roles can offer.

If this push by the Government to bolster the state's cybersecurity is to be believed, getting in early with a decent knowledge in the field could provide great experience. You'll be thin on the ground so be prepared for a lot of weight on your shoulders in terms of responsibility. You could be the driver of the change needed though and that is cool in itself.

You'll be paid less, have red tape to deal with and will be speaking a foreign language to most outside of your role if talking about your job but there's potential there.

I hope for the sake of the country that this role is sought after soon.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd do some research on that "good pension" before includ8ng that as a significant positive.

If you're 35+ that pension (already poor) is terrible.

You're paying into the pension and PRSI but your pension will be reduced by the state pension amount. Don't add your public sector pension and state pension together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭nachouser

That's like one of those scam emails I get all the time.

Advertisement