Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cherry Jam

• 17-07-2023 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭

People who make jam. Help!

If the recipe says, say, a kilo of cherries, is that with or without the stones? The recipe doesn't say.

Looking at several recipes, none mention the stones.

I know I made cherry jam last year - I've just finished the last of it and it was superlative. I remember making it in a hurry, because I had a goodly basket of cut-price cherries that had to be used up!

But I can't for the life of me remember what recipe I used, except that it was definitely with Jam Sugar.

And now I want to make a new batch but the recipes give a weight of fruit, without mentioning if cherries are weighed pitted or with stones still in.

Advice please??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

I've found, most weight is with the stone in. not made cherry jam, but make damson jam every year, and the weight is with stone in. Would it be worth trying with a small batch to test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I thought it would usually be the weight of just the fruit, so without the stones. This recipe (I've never made it before) specifies that the weight is after stoning. Most jam recipes have equal quantities of fruit and sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Isn’t jam usually about 50% sugar/50% fruit? Off the top of my head I’d look at how much sugar there is and base my assumption on that since if it’s 1Kg fruit and 700g Sugar, you’d assume the fruit would be stoned so tgst would infirm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

That's pretty much what I did, in the end.

Though I still think it remiss of the writers not to SAY whether the recipe is for stoned or unstoned fruit.

In fact, I have seen recipes of both kinds - one saying fruit and sugar same weight, another giving different weights, heavier on fruit - yet neither added the elementary clarification for the reader.

Advertisement