Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Holdovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks like an extended Breakfast Club, but with some proxy father/son stuff added on 😅

I like Alexander Payne though, so will check it out for sure. Interesting that he didn't write this one - though he didn't write Nebraska either, and did a great job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like this is getting a cinema release here mid January even though it might be available to stream watch already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes it's out on the 19th, really looking forward to seeing it.

I see Paul Giamatti celebrated his Golden Globes win with a visit to In 'n' Out, gotta love him 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 69,092 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Watched it and it's just ok. Nothing you haven't seen before to be honest and a bit trite and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I watched the first half and found it boring.

I like Alexander Payne and Paul Giamatti a lot though.

I feel like cinema's kinda shite at the moment.

Average films get great reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,092 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I probably would have switched off only we were watching as a family.

AP and PG just treading water and bulking out the wallets so to speak.

As somebody asked Robert Mitchum - 'Why did you make so many bad films?',

RM: 'They pay me to act in them, not to watch them'. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm surprised at some of the initial reactions here. I loved this. Couldn't wait for the Irish cinema release to watch a movie set at Christmas and watched it last month. I can easily see this slotting into a nice comfort watch in future Christmas times.

Quite enjoyed it too, particularly once it gets going after the initial setup switches round about 30 minutes in. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a nice intimate little story with some strong performances (though the kid did bug me at times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Thats good to hear, been looking forward to this one ever since I saw the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I saw this over Christmas, which was probably the best time to watch it, in that little holiday bubble. Well, I loved it and scored it 10/10, and I very rarely score films above 7/10, let alone 10/10. It's a slow burner, and that's a nice thing.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I saw it back at Thanksgiving, which was perfect too... it's a real shame they didn't get a pre-christmas date sorted for the UK/Ireland release as it's just perfect for that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I loved this, and I personally think Paul Giamatti deserves every award he has won for his performance. One of my favourites from 2023.

If he wins the SAG, he likely take the Oscar over Cillian Murphy imho

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Good movie about a man who deserves sympathy not seeking sympathy. The sub-plot for the leading Actress was well woven in to the script.

Will probably watch Sideways again based on the positive experience with this

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

loved Sideways it was bliss ! I think i will watch it too !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Saw it last night. Nice little movie about (3) people searching for meaning and direction in their lives. If you mixed The Shining, Dead Poets Society, Scent Of A Woman and Good Will Hunting into a bowl, something like this would probably come out. I like Giamatti but this film doesn't really stretch his chops, the writing does the work for him. Newcomer Dominic Sessa was equally good I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

I agree a nice film about people looking for meaning ( life is like a henhouse ladder short & covered in ****_ , being nice to each other what a rarity worth a watch as every Giamatti role is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Nice film. Nothing outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw this morning really enjoyable. I found it quite moving in places and funny too. The lead trio are wonderful.

It's a shame there aren't more of these type of films being made any more.

Anyone any idea why it wasn't released here at Christmas? Would have made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Tried to watch over Xmas and found it extremely dull and boring. Nothing new or interesting I hadn't seen before. So we switched off about half way through.

Maybe it gets better?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I called in to the cinema on my way home after work on Friday and I'm glad I did. What a lovely movie. It will definitely be added to my Christmas rotation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Safe, familiar and formulaic - and surprisingly winning despite that. Just a decent comedy-drama, very well told, with three great performances. Alexander Payne’s tackled meatier material in the past, but he’s still in comfortable territory here. A rock solid recovery from the muddled, meandering Downsizing.

One big annoyance though: the film is so aggressively trying to emulate the look and feel and sound of 70s cinema, I just don’t get why they didn’t film it on film. So much work is put into creating a digital facsimile of film grain and texture (right down to the little characteristic judder you get when text is on screen), but it’s still clearly a digital image when there are actors on screen. Just baffled why they didn’t just go the whole hog and shoot it properly on 16mm or 35mm! Would’ve looked substantially better IMO, and been truly authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Decided to watch this after the 5 star reviews and awards buzz. I didn’t really think much of it, fairly boring and sickening sweet. Nothing amazing about the lead actor performance, i was more impressed with the young supporting lad. I don’t know what was the point of the female actor role in it. It should not win any awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I remember hearing this discussed in a review and found this:

“We shot tests on both digital and film, we even tried 16mm but we didn’t pursue it in the end as Kodak said that, due to Covid-era logistical issues, they couldn’t guarantee us the amounts of stock we needed. And, we realised that if we decide to shoot on film, we’d still have to build-in a lot of the artifacts of the early ‘70s stocks in post. We would basically have to de-grain the image, then add grain again, etc., which was quite discouraging, so we abandoned the idea.”

https://www.cinematography.world/eigil-bryld-the-holdovers/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah had seen that quote somewhere too. Can certainly sympathise with potential stock shortages, but can’t really get on board with digital being more effective than film in emulating a film - even very artifact-y - image. The end product just feels like a weird middle ground to me, as opposed to things actually shot on film. The film is good enough to rise above it, but was a persistent little flaw throughout for me - especially when the film is so in your face from even the opening company credits as flaunting its 70s bonafides!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I havent gotten a chance to see it yet so can’t offer any opinion yet but it does sound like they would have to alter it digitally anyway to get the desired effect, so I suppose, in fir a penny in fir a pound

didn’t get a release near me, was very disappointed. Looking forward to watching it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oscar nominations are up: Giamatti has a tough competition against Cillian Murphy in Oppenheimer, but Randolph is looking very strong for Supporting Actress. Alexander Payne was not nominated for Director, but David Hemingson was for Original Screenplay. It's also up for Best Picture.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

If Paul takes the SAG and Bafta, he likely also take the Oscar, more a reward for body of work etc., long overdue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

PG in this film reminded me of John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. A much superior film to the holdovers yet no awards for it or the 2 genius comedy stars acting in it.

Advertisement