Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benjamin Mendy and Ryan giggs - **read OP**

Options
  • 18-07-2023 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Both men have seen their careers ruined by accusations which have failed to result in convictions. We have a GAA team who lost their manager and possibly an all Ireland due tounfound accusations. Why is it the price of innocence for men is the destruction of their futures, while their accusers can continue with their lives and careers.

Mod warning 18/07/23

If a court has found someone not guilty it is potentially defamatory to suggest otherwise, so just don't go there as you can expect a pointed warning and threadban

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,475 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be fair, there's a difference between having sex with someone with blurred areas of consent (one more reason it needs to be part of teenage education, but that's another thread) and someone maliciously thinking, "I'll make an accusation of rape against that guy - totally **** up his life."

The issue here is the media naming names before a verdict is given. Gifli Sigurdsson and Mason Greenwood were others, lost years of their careers only to not actually be convicted. But the flipside is the Arsenal player - who most people know via deduction - still playing, and yet the same people complaining even though he hasn't been named or convicted...?

EDIT - "same people" is NOT referenceing the OP, just to be clear.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

In the case of Giggs there is enough of a whiff of a woman scorned to question the accusations and with Mendy there was plenty of opportunities and evidence to make the CPS not proceed. Considering how "lightly" we treat rape from a sentencing pov it amazes me why as you correctly put it, accused do not get the cover of anonymity.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In the case of Giggs it’s been three years and no sign of any justice.

If you can prove the allegations are false, then feel free to post them here.

Dunno about that - the Giggs trial was a hung jury, so there must have been something in it at least to proceed with a prosecution.

We don't treat rape lightly (and in any case, this is a foreign jurisdiction) but anyone accused of a crime should have anonymity regardless of the severity - to the point that the accused can't name names either. That said, these things can leak out in any number of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

These things leak out every time these days!

Johnny Depps career was ended by a false accusation by a woman who had taken a s##t in his bed and chopped the top of his finger off and couldn't produce a morsel of evidence that she was abused!! She received huge support in Irish feminist circles before and after that famous trial.

• Advertisement

I would say that justice has been served as the CPS believe that there is no prospect of conviction due to lack of witnesses ( she is now refusing to testify) and the tenuous nature of "coercive control" accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

After Metoo and the the new cohersive abuse laws in the UK they were keen to get a big ticket conviction, Giggs fitted the bill previously nice guy of football who couldn't keep it in his pants with other people's wives and girlfriends,but it wasn't the first time some partner/ex partner came away bruised from an interaction with him ,not sure about the Mendy case ,and someone mentioned Mason Greenwood,if you heard the audio from the attack he committed it's pretty obvious it's not a false claim,his girlfriend refused to evidence apparently her father was heavily involved in turning the situation around,now his girlfriend gave birth to his child,it might not be the last time we hear his name in a court case ,

Syl Fox was charged and had to appear in court charged with SA despite the existence of camera evidence that he did nothing wrong, in fact, it was evidence of a false accusation. He was deliberately denied anonymity and had his life severely damaged at even his advanced age.

So, just because a case goes to court does not mean anything any more.

This is a particularly horrible miscarriage made worse by the refusal of JD to have him back on the show.

Giggs case didn't just go to court, it managed to convince a few jurors.

Fox's case should never have gone to court though - that was a DPP fuckup.

• Advertisement

The DDP's job exists to prevent what happened to Fox. It was not a f##k up, it was deliberate. Just like him being named in media was not a f##k up, it was deliberate. How could a DPP make two spectacular f##k ups on one case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

What is this nonsense, there is no onus on anyone, anywhere to "prove allegations false".

Innocent until proven guilty. The onus is on the accuser, and only the accuser, to prove allegations.

In fact, it's impossible to prove something false. If you make a claim about me, allege something about me, the state of natural justice means I enjoy the presumption of innocence unless and until you can prove what you've said to be correct. I am under absolutely no obligation to prove anything to you.

The terminology you've used is dangerous and downright wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And if you accuse someone of providing false allegations (like the OP did here) then is it not on you, the accuser, to prove as such?

Did you literally not just make that very point.

A not guilty verdict =/= false allegations. It’s genuinely insane that this has to be said every time a case like this comes up.

Also, your point about it being ‘next to impossible’ to prove a false allegation, welcome to the world of many rape victims who have it just as hard to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The OP doesn't mention false accusations. They weren't upheld in court therefore the men are not guilty, but it doesn't mean they were false accusations.

The accuser doesn't have to prove that someone committed a crime against them. They have to give evidence and the prosecution has to prove that the defendant is guilty.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If a court has found someone not guilty it is potentially defamatory to suggest otherwise, so just don't go there as you can expect a pointed warning and threadban

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Sounds like you're in conspiracy theory territory here - and possibly with grounds, I don't know - but if the DPP has decided "I'm going to make sure this gets prosecuted irrespective of the evidence" then it doesn't really matter what the position of the defendent is - he's going to court, anonymously or otherwise.

Again, completly different from the Giggs case. Your gripe here is with the DPP, not the media.

Advertisement