Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plug adapters

• 18-07-2023 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I have an 8 way plug adapter in my bedroom with plugs plugged into them. Yesterday, I turned the adapter on (the adapter has 2 lights on them, 1 is Earthed and the other is protected) and the Earthed light started flashing for about 2 minutes and then stopped. While the light Earthed started flashing, at the same time, it stated making a crackling noise. Today I turned it on again and the same thing happened again. What does this mean? I'm afraid that if I keep turning it off and switch in on the next morning, it will blow some thing or something worse. Should I change the adapter? By the way this has never happened until yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Change the socket adapter. From what you are describing it one of those surge protection devices. I'm not sure how reliable they are, but try replace it with a common brand name such as Masterplug as these would have some level of documented protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Today I turned it on again and the same thing happened again. What does this mean?

It's not a user-serviceable appliance so you unplug it and drop it off at your local recyling centre. You can pick up a replacement from Lidl or Aldi. The ones they sell in IKEA are rubbish, I have dumped two or three of them.

Advertisement