Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice (edit: homeowner travelling for 12+ months)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

The way things are now - anything is possible, and anything that is possible today could change tomorrow without notice. Its the wild west of property markets at the moment.

According to the RTB "A landlord is the owner of a property who leases or rents it to another person. The person who rents the property is a tenant. The agreement between the landlord and tenant is a tenancy.". If there is no rent, I dont see how the person could be considered a tenant with all the rights associated. I would even pay a small fee to the caretaker for providing the caretaker services, and have a caretaker agreement, to further underline that it is not a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Nope a relative couldn't be trusted because they know even more about you than a stranger.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xyz13

I would rent.

Put any expensive items (furniture etc) in storage and hire a reputable letting agency.

Petite a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Very difficult to find any investment that can get the returns on a private resident in Ireland . No capital gains tax.

So keep and hold and dont rent.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't do anything straight away. See how you get on abroad, leave it empty. You might get itch to return quickly. If you're staying away, reassess then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

Not sure of the wisdom of that?

Why not rent it out? Should be 25 to 30k in income...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marty984

Thanks for all advice so far, I will be leaving next week and am not going to rent it for now. I'll see how I get on and revaluate at Christmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They don't have to CPO anything, just take away whatever rights landlords have, it's a process which has been under way for years already.

If you can't evict anyone ever, do you still really own the property?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Fair point. You cant even raise the rent if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd rent it out to someone refurbing their house. Builder lined up n looking for 6 months ish. Wouldn't consider anyone else nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Without getting too philosophical about it, the concept of 'ownership' is a bit strange anyway. It really just gives you more rights than other people to have exclusive use of a property and to buy and sell that right to other people. When those rights are eaten away, the concept becomes a bit stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

What about the national scheme where local authorities are coordinating housing of Ukrainian refugees. Payment of 800 per month tax free and they are staying under licence and the responsibility of the local authority re licence and security of the property. Minimum 6 month period.

I have a solicitor friend availing of this for an apartment he has, and he wouldn’t be doing it if he wasn’t happy with the legal arrangement.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/ukrainian-refugees-in-ireland/accommodation-recognition-payment/

Advertisement