Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planted a tree - leafs falling off

Options
  • 18-07-2023 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I planted a mountain ash tree last week..when I was getting it out of the pot , soil surrounding it came asunder.

Leafs now falling off.

Should I just keep it watered or should I dig it up.and plant it next autumn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Keep it watered. Ideally water it only twice a week but give it plenty of water when you water it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Just keep it well watered. It might not do much this year but it will be fine next year. It's quite hard to kill a mountain ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sounds like it dried out in the pot. Too late now to say soak it well before planting and fill the planting hole with water.

It'll come again next year if you keep it well water from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you dug it up now you would be planting it in a pot, then in the garden next autumn so it would have been planted 3 times. Its planted, just keep watering it (as said, not in little dribbles, give it a lot two or three times a week) and hope for the best. Though in this weather it really should not have had any problems.

Was the compost in the pot dry? Did you give it a good soak before you planted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Seems more like it wasn’t long in the pot and hadn’t developed a root system. Should be fine if above advice is followed. Add a stake to stop wind moving it but remember to remove any ties which are still there in a year or so.

Ive seen a good few mountain ash seedlings in my garden and will transplant them in the autumn to a more suitable place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I had similar happen to my apple tree a few months ago. I think if it is very young and hasn't a huge amount of roots and you soak the pot too much, the soil can fall off too. There wasn't a lot of root on mine but it seems to be doing just fine now.

Advertisement