Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage loophole query

• 19-07-2023 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at the Citizens Information page on minimum wage and came across this section regarding people who are not entitled to minimum wage. They are as follows:-

You are not entitled to receive the national minimum wage if you are:

Employed by a close relative (for example, a spouse, civil partner or parent)

In a statutory apprenticeship

Aged under 20 (see ‘Rates’ below)

It's the first of these 3 that caught my eye. Does this flatly mean that if a (over 20) person goes to work at their father's/brother's/sister's/mother's company as a registered employee, that their employer does not technically have a minimum they have to pay? Are there any conditions to this? Does the employee have to agree to be paid less than minimum, for example?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

My daughter discovered this when she started working for a hotel group in her late school years!

She didn't hang about for too long & she got employment elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Killed

If they are employed by a company even if owned by a family member then they are entitled to minimum wage, if it's a sole trader that's a family member then they're exempt from minimum wage legislation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The conditions are simple, you should know your rate of pay or salary before starting work, if you don't like it, don't take it. The exemption is to stop people getting in trouble for helping out with the family business. The example does say partner or parent, not sure your siblings would count. It is more for kids helping out their parents (farming/small shop etc) rather than Grannies employing grandkids for free to run a warehouse

Advertisement