Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is An Post a decent workplace?

• 19-07-2023 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Is it a handy number working for An Post or like any job does it have its ups and downs? I have heard several advantages and disadvantages and it would be interesting to get the views of current workers.

Advantages

1. Plenty of exercise if on a postal route

2. Very social if you get to know people on your routes

3. Good wage and plenty of overtime

Disadvantages

1. Bad weather!

2. Nepotism. Ive heard its practically impossible to get into An Post unless your father/mother/sister/uncle etc has worked there. But i also know a case where a guy there 20yrs couldnt get his son in so maybe thats not always true

3. Lots of pressure at Christmas time and long hours

Any current/former employees have more insights?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Stop looking for handy numbers, well paid how do you define well paid? The early start and early finish is big advantage to some, are you going to apply are their jobs where you are. This pops up on boards now and then over the years posters who seem to latch on to a job in an post. There are a million jobs out there I often wonder whats the fascination with an post is? I had family who worked in an post now retired they started when there was a civil service type exam to get in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pro: Drill milfs

Cons: Some of the milfs may not be of merchantable quality.

Years ago like 30/40 years ago it was an alright job, old farmers would invite postmen in for breakfast and the like, just to have a chat there a lot more monitoring in every job now. What about something like this if you are looking for a job with a pension, life insurance and alright pay. https://www.goaheadireland.ie/careers-drivers#:~:text=Our%20generous%20offer%20includes%3A,Staff%20savings%20scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I asked my postman what he thought of the job. He said "To be frank, if you want to push the envelope in your career, I'd give it my stamp of approval. The package is good, and as an employer, they always deliver."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our local postman/ woman has changed quite a few times in recent years. Current chap is fine but says overworked, shortages and he has to cover other runs. Delivery routes getting bigger. More parcels now and few letters. On normal day starts in early hours to sort stuff for the route, delivers and finished late morning/ early afternoon. On busy day, does two routes..

On other hand, I've heard reliably that if you get a management job in An Post, it's a pretty handy number.

• Advertisement

I said this before but the most stress free job ever, on a remote beach in West cork two county council worker going around from one remote beach to another changing bins, when we came upon them they were parked on the beach having a long lunch. To the op what about looking for a job as school care taker or council worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Whenever our postman is on holidays, his replacement arrives two hours earlier, I don’t know whether the regular guy starts late or drives slow ?

the salary of a postman is a lot more than most people think considering how easy a gig it is

you won’t get to be a postman/woman without pull

https://www.anpost.com/Working-with-An-Post/Careers/Temporary-Postal-Operatives-Dublin That's from 2020 so they do take temporary staff. I got the first job in area I work in on a tempory contract well over 30 years ago now, it was how things were done then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Forget An Post, what you want is a job as a tipper lorry driver. Sites and quarries etc can only open set hours so they’re the max hours that you can work.

Delivery, artic etc you’ll be working crazy hours.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Work and Jobs.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Advertisement

A long time ago now, someone I know got a job where the common belief was only those with pull could get a job there, the person concerned got the job by interview and nothing else, anyway, it turned out a fourth cousin once removed, or something like that worked there, they didn't even know they were related to them the gossip upset them so much they left, the often untrue belief that someone can only get a job by pull is what causes a dreadful work environment that and the obsession with handy numbers. I had a terrible experience about 25 years with someone looking for a handy number, so the idea of getting jobs by pull and looking for the fabled handy number tends to annoy me somewhat. I am all for anyone trying to look for a decent job provide they work hard.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

A bit like Pat Mustard. If Carlsberg created jobs😃

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Denis Horan

I have a mate who's in his mid-20's and only recently started with An Post. He enjoys the gig because it's well paid and he does enjoy the early finish (plus the milfs...obviously). However, the downside is of course the early starts and some night shifts he was also involved in which did leave him shattered for a few weeks. Like any job, ups and downs to it. They're well paid because of the 'unsociable hours' they have to work but if that's something that doesn't bother you, it's certainly somewhere you can earn a decent wage and build up savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the post. Did he get the job by being related to someone, just out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Squatman

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Denis Horan

I'm actually unsure, although I believe he went through advertised channels with An Post. The way they seem to hire tends to be one-in one-out so usually takes a retirement or move for them to take someone on, and they never hire in high volume. Most who do the job tend to enjoy it quite a bit so as a result, lots of lifelong postmen, making it harder for someone new to come on board.

Advertisement