Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train speed limits through non-stop stations

• 19-07-2023 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Its terrible to see the number of suicides on train lines this past fortnight. My heart goes out to the families and friends of the deceased.

Also I feel for the drivers on how it affects their lives. They must be full of doubts and fears when they see anyone standing at edge of platforms as they pass through.

I think it is at the point were Irish Rail need to intervene.

I think trains should have a 20km/hr speed limit going through non-stop stations and road crossings. It would help fight this copy-cat suicide trend.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd hardly call it a copy-cat suscide trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

20kmh is hardly going to make a difference is it? Somebody jumps out in front a train at the last second will be fatal at almost any speed surely

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The only real solution is to fund proper mental health services in this country. Slowing down trains isn't a solution, stopping people wanting to jump in front of them is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Slowing trains to that extent would significantly add to journey times. It wouldn't be acceptable especially at a time when people are being encouraged to get out of their cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many of these suicides happen at stations? the several attempts i've heard of over the years were not at stations.

and secondly, as mentioned, trains take a long time to slow down. train drivers don't operate on the principle that motorists (should) operate on, that you should be able to stop within the distance visible to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

So essentially you are saying to ban express/intercity trains? When I say ban, your suggestion would slow down longer distance express/intercity trains to the point where they are not attractive to travellers due to the inordinate amount of time it takes to get from A to B.

It would be ridiculous to delay thousands of people on a daily basis just for those very few people who decide to take an action to end their life in a way that impacts a LOT of people.

Also, as pointed out, a train hitting you at 20 km/h could easily be fatal from the impact alone as the amount of potential energy being transferred to the human is immense. Additionally, should the human be positioned across one of the rails, a slow transversing of the train over that person could arguably be far far worse for the person involved as there would be greater chance of a very painful non-instant death.

I understand your argument but you must think of it from many points of view, not just a solution that most likely does not do any good for an individual human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP your not addressing the problem, and your trying to address a symptom. The problem is mental health services. Not the speeds of trains.

Under your plan, trains would still go fast between stations and people would simply walk out on front of the train at a junction rather than station. Because your not treating the issue at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

🎵 Whistling through the Trollshaws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bridges will still exist. Other track access points will still exist. This would do absolutely nothing

Suicides under trains happen when they are entering stopping stations too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife was once on a train, heading to balbriggan, which emergency braked because someone had lain on the tracks as a suicide attempt. thankfully, they lay between the rails rather than across them, so the train passed over them and they were unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Needless to say an entirely daft idea. And if someone wants to they will just find another way...

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is a daft idea, though this is also not entirely true. Putting minor blocks in the way can have an outsized impact on stopping suicides (best example being the limit on paracetamol purchasing, which can be mildly annoying at times but genuinely helps keep people alive so I'm ok with it).

However, the impact of this is large and the benefit small to non-existent so its not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Only thing that has changed is media reporting. While this year will increase over the last few its nothing new.

I think what needs to be addressed is how to get this disruption back to the 2 hour window. Before anyone comes at me for this comment I have full sympathy for those involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Should we reduce the speed on motorways too for this as people jump off bridges onto the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

and no blocks of flats over 2 stories - just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes. This must happen. I'll start wring my placards now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Too many half hearted suggestions. Rip up all the railways. That will then remove one of the many many ways that one can do to end ones life.

We can then ban any sort of automotive transport.

And sea transport too because sometimes people decide to jump overboard.

We should also drain all our lakes as people sometimes drown in them, quite often not intentionally.

Stop all access to mountains and any other ground with steep sides that could pose a danger.

I could go on and on for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

That wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world, so what makes you think it would happen here?

If a train slows to 12mph for stations or crossings, then it can't get back up to a suitable speed for a long distance. It would cripple the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Quite a few at stations actually. People in that state of mind don't think rationally, and often gravitate towards stations.

Very lucky, considering trains have cow catchers between the front wheels, designed to stop large animals derailing a train.

Advertisement