Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soffit eave vents

• 19-07-2023 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I've just insulated my attic and I've noticed my Soffit eave vents are not open. I tried to drill a hole through one of the grills (see pic) but it didn't really work.

Does anyone have any idea how I can take the grill off and drill proper holes?

Thanking you in advance,

Darragh

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

You would have to take off the facia in order to slide out them vent strips which will probably end up getting messy as the PVC facia is very unlikely to come off in one piece will most likely end up breaking on you. Would probably be easier to buy the following & get a 70 mm holesaw & drill holes & stiick round vents in place. Unless you intend to replace facia at same time Id go with the round vents,

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/circular-soffit-vent-white-70mm-10-pack/68936

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gloryo

Thanks for the reply SC024, but I'm not convinced there's not a workaround I can do.

Maybe cutting them out, making the hole and gluing new ones on.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how close is the timber behind the vent

could you get a flat bit up between the vent and have enough room for it to spin. you could cut some of the bit off if needed

those vents can be a right pain to gently take out and put back in . get a piece of wood about 6" and put it flat into one of the little grooves in the soffit and gantly tap the block to move it away from the vent. if they are not screwed you can get enough movement to open a gap beside the vent. .

then put something thin bit strong into one of the vent slots and push it front to back . hopefully its short enough to come down. if not push it all the way one way and cut it with a multitool or grinder.

putting it back in is the oposite but put a bit of silicone in the j trim so it sets in the middle position if its too loose.

i have found a selection of paint scrapers very handy to move the soffit and sides of the vents around so they will slide into each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gloryo

Thanks pen_turner, I'll give it a go this week. If it doesn't work, i'll cut it off and glue.

Thanks for the input guys.

Advertisement