Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New young angler

• 19-07-2023 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

My only son turns 8 in a couple of weeks and have promised him his first fishing rod. No doubt the pestering will then start for a trip. And so it should.

I’m from Donegal originally so am used to fishing off the rocks and deep sea. We are living in the south side of Dublin and I haven’t been fishing here yet so was wondering if anyone could recommend some good spots and bait that would be great for his first trip.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Maybe off the pier at dun laoghaire? Might be good idea to ask in the local fishing shop. They could give advice on what bait to use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If you are ever out for a spin there's a great shop in Swords for bait, equipment and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mattcullen

You could try killiney if fishing from the beach. I'd say you'd pick up small flatfish and whiting etc. Especially at night time. Simple 2 or 3 hook flapper rigs with small hooks. Any good angling shop will get you set up. Bait up with small bits of worm tipped off with tiny 1 inch long strips of mackerel. Basically keep the bait and hooks small and you should pick up some fish close in on beaches like killiney Greystones and kilcoole. Good luck.

Advertisement