Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden slab

• 19-07-2023 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭

Got a job on the garden some time ago. One of the job promised was that one of the tiles be integrated over the wavin drain cover. The landscaping company have not returned. 🤬 I want to make it safer as we have a 1 year old near walking and its such a shoddy finish it's not safe.

I've since found the same slab in Woodies. Id like to replace the cover with a tile. My questions being:

If I cut the slab - obviously for future instances and the need to get access to the drain, if it was flush with the other tiles, what would be a solution to lift the tile? Even if it meant leaving a gap and "popping" the tile with a screwdriver or something similar. Given there heavy, might need something stronger than a screwdriver. I'm just wondering is there a specific tool or similar that can be bought for lifting garden tiles ?

I know tiles can be fragile, so I'd ideally pick up a few. Will hopefully get it cut by a friend with a consaw.

Any advice welcome. I just want to make the drain cover safer.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

Why is it not safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It rocks when stepped. Not level underneath. Botch job. I want to have it so it's all the same. I know the wavin cover serves its purpose but would look much better fully slabbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Buy the slab, remove the wavin cover. If possible bed the 4 corners on a bit of wet sand n cement mix. Cut slab so there is enough room to lift out. What I have done in past is an Allen key held with a vice grip, slide it into gap turn 90deg and lift up up slab . The recessed manhole cover works great but could be a bit of faffing around at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP your problem is that you don't have top section of the drain cover or rather you are missing the edge.

Replace that its probably there but damaged and you'll fix the rocking.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They should have replaced with a tray that holds a tile. That’s a really bad job

Yeah - really bad job. Very shoddy. And they've gone into the wind since. Promises to come back to sort it. Not a proper company. But that's a lesson learned.

Thanks for the suggestions all. The rocking is being caused by the bits of crap left in and around the cover. I'll remove this and get a new slab and cover. @The Continental Op - Likely wont replace this piece as its still intact. But also would have to remove the adjoining slabs to get at it. Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's not always possible to use a recessed cover as they're quite deep and would require a lot of excess work if paving over concrete.

Having said that instead of rising the frame and cover here it looks like they just lifted the cover and tried to hold in place with mortar, so yes pretty shoddy.

If there's enough depth you might be able to place a slap over the cover but you can't fix it so it still might rock. Raising the frame and cover and fixing it with concrete would still be the best option imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

Land a nice big heavy full plant pot over all of it. Sorted.

The plant pot would work if it was not right beside where we have our garden furniture. Footfall area.

I should be able to level what's underneath the current cover and make it flush with a new slab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement