Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

but in fairness they normally feud amongst themselves an if you treat them equal, just a simple "Hello, Lads", they normally won't bother you.

There's literally ten of thousands of cases that prove otherwise

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tastyt threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

think we were there that same evening...saw the lads on the scramblers and was wondering to myself 'what the fcuk are they doing chasing them with a VAN?'

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Some journo should ask Drew harris if he would feel ok allowing his wife and kids to walk around the streets of Dublin at nighttime.

And when he admits he wouldnt then why doesnt he something about it other than alienating and sucking the morals out of the force he is trying to lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE/Virgin should send some reporters up Talbot Street with bodycams of an evening to show what's really going on, it's day in day out from first light in the day when the heroin/methadone addicts unwell arise until the early hours when the opportune thieves have nobody left to target or beat up. If they still have battery left in their cameras they could go up Moore Street to expose the gangmasters openly organising commercial begging with vulnerable people, it's like a slave trading post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As long as our elites are not affected by crime, nothing will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

None of those were American though.

There is a weird obsession with America in this country.

RTE all over it because the victim was American.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

They willfully choose to ignore a lot to make the balance sheets look better and look like the best in the class.

Honestly, I understand being in Government is a very difficult job and you have to make some very difficult choices. I think the Irish population understands that and we let a lot go.

HOWEVER, the current crowd are woefully out of their dept and sending the country towards the point of no return.

Not one, not a single one! Govt Department is performing well. Sure the budget surplus looks good, but what use is that if the country is in ruin and quality of life is gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In decades gone past it took inner city voluntary groups like CAPD to combat the heroin problem that the government and police of the time were unable / unwilling to combat.

Its high time another a few more of these groups was established to embarrass the powers that be into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

what do I expect the government to do with these scumbags? no guards, prison spaces stc? No,,, theyll increase welfare spending by a few billion in the budget! LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Prison spaces? If these scumbags have no regard for the life of a human, why do we afford them any respect.

Fire them into overcrowded prisons, good luck to them.

Human rights and civil liberties should be thrown out the window for these pond life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Council for the defense forumlating a plea of "it's not my/our fault your honour I/we didn't go to school".

The only surprising thing about this story is that it took this long to happen.

We have over crowded prisons that have to operate a revolving door policy because the country is bursting at the seems with violent scumbags.

We need to build prisons and put violent offenders away for the type of terms that actually discourage this type of behaviour.

Being a violent criminal is a viable career choice in this country that needs to stop.

Glazers Out!

Possibly, It was a Wednesday evening towards the end of June. Decent sunny summers evening. Quite a sight to behold the state of the kip.

Just pure bad Nationals, non-nationals and everything in between seem to congregate around the place in amongst the main tourist drop off points.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

What would it take to make serious changes to sentencing? Is it as simple as simple as the government introducing new laws or are there legal barriers or something?

Seems like there is a huge appetite for change. I don't know why none of the main parties are latching onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Also this nonsense of gender and geographical requirements for ministries needs to disappear. The outrage when Dara Calleary lost his seat at cabinet was ridiculous, "the west has no minster".

So what. Minsters should be appointed based on their experience, knowledge and skills. Do we have any decent TDs with experience in law and order? Instead we get some woman whose dad was a td, and she hasn't a clue. Same for the minister for education, how was she appointed to cabinet as a first time TD? Purely because of her gender, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This story should have been the lead on the News at 1 on RTE Radio 1 and the Six One news. This is the same RTE, "The Truth Matters" RTE. Instead, it was 22 minutes into the News at 1 on RTE Radio 1 and 10 minutes into the Six One news before it was covered. All the time before that was spent pushing their woke agenda on a tournament the other side of the world that the majority of the country couldn't care less about.

A sports event takes priority over a vicious unprovoked attack on a tourist, that's left him with life changing injuries, on the streets of our nation's capital. The poor young lads though, huh, it's not their fault, if only they had amenities.

Agree - isn't it sad to think that if this American passes and the ambassador is knocking on the door some changes that should have been made 10 years ago around city policing and law and order may very suddenly come into effect.

All them lives could possibly have been saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Again the majority of the problem doesn’t lie with the guards- it’s the judiciary that refuse to lock up the feral scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

the fact that there are no Gardai to be seen does lie at the door of the commissioner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

sounds about right,yeah....the mrs and her friend kept asking "wheres the polizia or carabinieri??" theyre Italian and are contantly amazed they only see a Garda around once in a very long while...and yeah before anyone says i get it that the numbers arent there,money isnt there etc etc etc... BUT from what they tell me and having visited Italy very regularly over a number of years,Italy is more or less broke,certainly a lot less well off then we are here and yet the police there are constantly on patrol both on foot and in cars/motorcycles and certainly in the likes of Romes tourist centres and main streets(like our O'Connell St) the police wouldve been on top of that straight away and the scrotes hauled away,the scobies simply wouldnt be allowed to congregate the way they do here...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

The Guards gave up on the city centre years ago. They don`t give a sh.it. No other capital city in the EU is as dangerous as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I tend to agree.

It certainly hasn't "always been like that".

Pre-covid, things were just fine, to me at least.

Could they have been better?

Hell yes.

But since covid the place is just mayhem.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Stop with your American obsession. Why it should it be a lead story? Lads get beaten up every day in the city centre. Who's gives a **** if this one happens to be a yank. He's not any more special than an Irish person who's been assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its very much a city of two half's though, if you cross the river the problems are not near as bad.

Up Grafton, Baggott, Wicklow, South Anne Street, Camden all very safe and an absolute world away from the visible problems O'Connell and surroundings suffer. Although the feral do on occasion make their way up there.

I won't give up on Dublin just yet, it has some of the most beautiful city villages and sights in its surrounds. People take pride in these places and are out every weekend in groups doing community work. Coastal Dublin is also stunning. We just need too come together and put a lot of pressure on the fuckwits in power who invariably by their inaction on everything are sending the city to the gutter

A "Save Dublin" action group is required. With the use of social media it could get traction very quickly.

Yeah but if there were 100 extra guards and they send the filth to court- then the judge releases them, what’s the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The most disturbing aspect of this thread is the bots throwing mud at the minister for justice as if this is some sort of new problem which she can and should be preventing.

Dublin's north inner city has always been a dangerous kip, anyone getting political at the expense of their genuine concern over the health and well being of a tourist deserves their outrage.

The reality is that this has happened around the corner from Store street Garda station, the Gards need a shaking up if you ask me. It is the heart of the summer in Dublin, the concerts are over, the least they could be doing is patrolling their district at 10.40 in the evening. Whoever is the super in Store street has my blame for this, not the minister for justice.

Gangs of whankers hanging around after 10pm need to be arrested, phucked in a Mariah and up to the Bridewell for the night, let them sing jingle jangle all they like up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

London is not in the EU, but American tourists would be safe from a severe beating in the other cities you mention. This is a Dublin problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I hold the judiciary primarily responsible for the breakdown in law and order. It must be soul destroying for gardai investigating crimes and making arrests only to see their efforts thrown back in their faces with the mickey mouse sentencing.

Spoke with a local Garda recently.

Basically the exact words out of her mouth, that it's like a slap in the face for them each time they re-arrest a serial re-offender, few months "on vacation" and right back on the street.

Pick them up again, couple weeks in the holding cell and try and re-incarcerate.

I do understand there's a case of "work dodging" with some officers, they just don't want to face the headache.

I would say our national mindset/attitude toward human behavior really, needs a re-think.

Historically we're all "great craic" and "happy go lucky", which is a total charade.

It's time to make like "Leon - The Professional":

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Advertisement

If you were a guard and you were constantly arresting the same scumbags that the judges had just released again- would you bother?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement