Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris

Options
  • 20-07-2023 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Can you recommend hotels and best location to stay in Paris? I’m staying there for 3 whole days and Im visiting the Louvre - just not sure where to stay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

The George V (George Cinq) on Avenue George V is among the best and only 7 minutes on the nearby Metro to the Louvre. If the budget won't stretch look further out close to a Metro stop which will get you into the city quickly and cheaply. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Discod

The best areas are 1-9 arr.

As for me 6,7,8 are the best, close to all other districts,

Check here the hotel recommendations in 7th arr., this area is very comfortable, like on the middle of the city, close to 1st (Louvre)

7th arr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A few years ago I stayed in a Novotel very close to / directly above Chatelet-Les Halles station.

The hotel is directly above Chatelet RER station, which is on three of the five RER lines, I think.

Plus the RER station is connected to four metro stations, in a huge complex.

So the hotel is very well connected.

Les Halles is maybe ten mins walk to Ile de la Cite, very central.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

My partner booked a hotel in monmartre but then I looked it up and I’d need to take a bus and the metro to the Louvre… monmartre looks nice but would it not be a mistake if it’s far from the centre?

deleted

• Advertisement

The RER are the ones that take you to that lovely palace in Versailles aren’t they?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Discod

Monmartre is great, but not the centre, you need bus/metro, so 7th, 8th, are the centre and much better if you love walk in the city. Have a good travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The 5th is my arrondissement of choice. I love the Latin Quarter. So much to see around there and plenty of metro/rer stations for anything beyond. Very short hop to the Louvre

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

If you're on a budget, novotel, ibis close to le defence is very reasonably cheap. And close to metro. The last time we took hop on- hop off bus. Brought you to all the famous sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

It really depends on your budget. Paris is very well served by the Metro so everywhere is easily accessible. Try the Accord Hotel group website. They have hotels from one star to 5 star all through Paris. We get a three day train ticket in Charles De Gaulle station and that covers all our transport for the trip, in and out of Paris, hopping on Metro and out to Versailles and Disney. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agree with your recommendation of the Accor hotel group. Ibis and Novotel hotels, many of them right on top or beside RER stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Is there any family tickets from cdg Airport for two adults and two kids, going for 3 nights and one day trip to Disney.

No hotel booked yet. It makes dublin look good value!

So booked and ready for travel on the 9th of September, who knew the bloody rugby World Cup started that weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

Did you find any family tickets from CDG? My wife and I, with 2 kids are also going to Paris at the end of September to Disneyland and trying to see what is the best/cost effective way to get from airport

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We got a taxi, they are a fixed price, just under €70 for four, airport warning people not to go with drivers advertising inside the terminal, just follow the floor signs to the outside rank. We were there early Saturday morning and the traffic is crazy, but taxi driver said its less traffic on Saturday! 50min.

I had planned to get the train back to the airport but when I checked google maps it said significant delays on the rail line, I even went over to the metro to check the display board, so taxi back.

The ticket machine in the metro has quick links to purchase tickets for disneyland and the airport, couldn't see any family tickets, but you can get a book of tickets but not sure how long they last, they are good if going to two or more places in the one day, not sure if you can buy a return ticket, and staff I tried to speak to didn't speak English.

I printed off a pdf map of the metro and found it great in finding what direction I needed to go when we got to the platform and for buying tickets when planning your way.

Metro is hot and crowded and very fast, waiting times of 2 mins!

Gypsy type pickpockets male and female around the corner from the eiffel tower metro, exactly at the point when you take out your camera/phone, also around notre dame.

Paris is huge and it will be hard to see it without the metro, especially with young kids.

Metro and train to Disneyland is long and about €15 each way for 2 adults and 2 kids. Food is muck and expensive in Disney, space area.

There is a walkway under the arc de triomphe, so no need to risk life and limb trying to access it.

Beer is on average €10 pint, but seen it as low as €6.50 (happy hour) and high as €13.

Waiter service is slow.

It's a fabulous city so enjoy.

We stayed here, lots of bars and cafe's.

23 Rue de la Gaité

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DDejnfLtiVN8Xoa37

• Advertisement

No, hotel in link, expensive at 1276 for 3 nights b&b.

Would you recommend breakfast at the hotel or just eating out?

Eating out would probably be cheaper but you will spend so much time in waiting for the waiter, bill, etc etc.

The breakfast at the place we stayed was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We stayed in Chat Noir in Montmartre. Loved it. It was just opposite a metro. It was just down the road from the Moulin Rouge, and there was a really good vibe around the place.

yea, monmartre looks lovely, just not sure if it’s easy to get to the center of Paris then to see the louvre and other places - I pre booked a hotel there and was told I need to get two metro for the louvre

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

We liked Citidines, great for a family. Apartment with separate bathroom kitch etc. Lots of locations

I booked my trip to Paris for next week but with all the problems since the Hamas attack in Israel might be cancelling it because I hear they closed the Louvre and Versailles due to bomb threats…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was there at the weekend, some scares (Gare de Lyon was also briefly evacuated and closed) but never once felt in danger.

with the bedbugs first and now the terrorist attacks and bomb threats at the Louvre etc I don’t think I’m going any longer. It’s a pity because I won’t get my money back for the plane tickets and I’ve been looking forward to this trip for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭89897

Ive just come back and you would never think anything was happening. No bed bugs thankfully, they werent even mentioned and no issue anywhere with safety.

Advertisement