Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built a computer. Powers up but no screen

Options
  • 20-07-2023 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

During Spring I got help from Reddit to pick out parts for my new custom build. I built the PC in June, it powers up and all but nothing displays on the screen. I brought to to a small, local repair shop and they can't figure out what's wrong. They think it's either a motherboard or processor issue. They said it could be damaged from static.

Anyone know of any suitable repair shops in Northside Dublin I could bring it to? I was thinking of bringing it to Curry's, but maybe there are better places around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Coyler

Pretty piss poor repair shop. Should be able to zero down the fault (if there is one) through process of elimiation. List your parts and we might be able to go from there. First thing I'd do is try it without the GPU so hoping you have a iGPU on your CPU. Next thing we'd need to know is if you are getting any error codes from the moboboard either from beeps or LEDs depending on model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

My first port of call, and I assume you tried this, is to test every display output on the motherboard and GPU with your monitor, and also check your monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

First thing - where are you plugging the monitor in to? If you have a dedicated GPU are you actually plugging the cable in to it or the onboard socket? If you don't have a GPU and an AMD processor is it an IGPU processor else there will be no video and you will need a GPU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the exact specs and details of it? Is there a qcode or other diagnostic LED system on the motherboard? What display is it connecting to? Do you use ancient or cheap monitor cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Weird Al Yank

Here are the parts :

Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor

Deepcool AK400 ZERO DARK PLUS 59.46 CFM CPU Cooler

Gigabyte B760 GAMING X AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory

Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card

Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Enermax REVOLUTION D.F. 2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So there's a possibility it has an older BIOS, which only supports the 12th gen, and not a 13th gen CPU. It does have Q-Flash which will allow it to be updated even if the CPU isn't recognised (or even present for that matter). I'd suggest updating it to the most recent available BIOS to rule that aspect out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Fans spin up, HDDs are accessed etc? Do you get beeps if you start it with no ram? Can you test gfx card in another system?

Advertisement