Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed reseed. What to do?

Options
  • 21-07-2023 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

1june spread lime

22 june sprayed with Gallop

24 june Sow red clover grass seed mix, single pass. Rolled. 1.2 bag to acre.

27 june spread wattery slurry

9july 3 bag 10 10 20

Photo 19 july

Grass striking on the headlands and nothing in the centre. Wtf?

Has the 4 weeks of summer rain set it back, I thought it was ideal.

No sign of slugs that I've seen.

Soil tested in 2021, nothing significant and got lime in 2022.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Would the Gallop have effected the seed if it was only sprayed 2 days before the seed was set?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Steps seem to be a bit off

Spray off should be first step.

Do whatever tilling when old sward dead. If not ploughing the lime would be needed to counter the acidity of sod rotting at surface as well.

We put out lime and fert just before setting, would need the p and k to get going

In terms of what to do it may be a case of go again maybe or give it time to come of it hasn't struck. If has struck and is after dying its gone but if it hasn't struck it may come yet. Perhaps get a neighbour or advisor to walk the field with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'm assuming he mixed up the order of liming and spraying in his post, or otherwise Wtf indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How was it sowed. Method?

Was it drilled like an Erth agriseeder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

It has to min of 5 days after spraying, normally two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The slurry may have been the problem. The seed may have struck. Red clover strikes very fast in ideal conditions ( heat and moisture )will germinate in 48 hours.

You rolled straight away which would have helped germination. Normally watery slurry is ideal in a reseed like that. However I think a neighbour that dose a bit of tillage said to me that it can smother the grass seed if it drys onto it as it strikes.

On slugs did you use slug pellets. It's common for slugs to clean the germinating seed lines on ground. The only time you will see them is during the night/ early morning .You will only see there trail mark at other times

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a pdf file online for Gallop. Google brings it up.

On the recommendations it's to apply Gallop 5 days before lime. It specifically says not to apply the other way around.

That was your problem. There's been some sort of chemical reaction with the spray on top of the lime and it's effected your seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Roundup is an acid. Lime is alkaline. Basically you would have a lot of sodium on the ground. With wet weather you would have saline solution so that may be the issue.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement