Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary vs Hourly Pay

• 22-07-2023 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm in the running for a job which I have found out after submitting my application is paid monthly as a salary. Most of my working life has been hourly paid on a 39 hour week with overtime for any extra hours and paid weekly.

I would appreciate the experiences of people who are in salaried jobs and how they deal with hours worked above and beyond a normal working week which I assume would be 39 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most jobs with any prospect of advancement are salaried.

You deal with some weeks having more than 39 hours by working faster or smarter so they don’t take so long after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was salaried, paid monthly, but overtime was still paid when approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

It is possible there might be the possibility of advancement but this job is more or less a general operative role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Your contract will state how many hours your week is and what your daily core hours are.

After that it depends on the culture of the department/company.

Some places will allow time off in lieu, others will pay overtime.

Then there are places that think you're working out of sheer enjoyment and expect you to do extra hours for free.

Unfortunately until you're actually in the door there's no real way of knowing which way a company operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Paid salary, no overtime, but flexi hours.

I worked about 2 hours extra each day last week so I'm taking Monday off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭PommieBast

As @Princess Calla mentions it is really down to the individual company. With salaried positions people are generally more interested in getting things done rather than the time it takes, but in practice overtime gets offset/compensated for one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Last year was a 53 week year for us so salaried people got a 2 % pay cut

Personally I took a extra week off but many didn't even notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Your contract will state your working hours.

when I was salaried I went home when my day finished. If I stayed an hour or 2 longer which was rare, then I slept in the next day or went home early.

So why are you going for it?

If you want to advance, in this job another, you will have to face up to being salaried sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My experience is that when a job is salaried and the employer is in any way decent then they try to be flexible on time instead

In my previous job I was routinely in evening meetings with folks from the US (turns out the Earth IS round and time zones exist)

On the flip side, no-one was monitoring my start time, so I'd often wake up a little later, drop the kids off in school/childcare and maybe grab a coffee, do the grocery shopping, tidy up the house (I'm WFH) and get the dinner started in the slow cooker

So my actual start time was generally after 10am. As long as I didn't take the p!ss and did my work it was grand

Tbh, I actually changed jobs because I was getting fed up of giving up my evenings. My current job is also salaried and is much more 9-5 but still affords some flexibility (within reason)

In general the jobs I'm in are very task oriented, get a thing done by a deadline, if I get it done in 3 days or 5 days then no-one minds as long as it's done on time to the expected standard

The flip side of this is that the flexibility is often a two way street, you can end up working late, in evening meetings or on call without any financial compensation. It goes with the territory and IMO as long as my employer doesn't mess around then it's fine

I will say there is some peace of mind being paid the exact same amount every month which shouldn't be underestimated. Part time roles can have hours cut or variable rosters meaning your paycheck can go down or up

I find being salaried makes budgeting a lot easier, I've been using the vaults feature in Revolut (most banks have a similar thing now) to put money away for various savings goal, birthdays, holiday, property tax (ugh), etc.

It also looks good on a mortgage or loan application, banks like to see a steady income

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Christ.

Another O'Bumble hot take 🙄

Whip those galley slaves good-oh, they deserve it!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Going towards a salary based pay scale requires you to break from the hourly paid mindset and move into the salary based one.

Hourly based you are selling hours of your time to the company, salary based you are committing to doing a role for a certain renumeration, some weeks will consume more time others less, the swings and roundabouts saying should apply.

I do not think in terms of how much I earn per hour, I know what it is in a year but the hours will vary from week to week or year to year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

You don't believe in the concept that as a person gets more experienced in the business/equipment/process, they become better and faster at doing the same tasks?

You don't get better and faster in your job with experience? I'd be taking a long hard look at you were you on of my reports then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, I do, in the public sector we call them increments 😁 I approvingly note your new-found wholehearted support of same.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Great. Glad I could help.

Yet again, I have to step in and correct the state employee and draw attention to something so basic and fundamental.

If only there was some guarantee that getting an increment meant you have gotten smarter / faster, instead of just older.

Advertisement