Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortwave Radio Advice

Options
  • 22-07-2023 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone, I'm interested in investing in a shortwave radio and I'm looking for your advice. I travel a lot in my campervan, in Ireland and Europe mostly. Initially I wanted to buy a portable radio, but as I have and interest in listening to radio stations from other countries I thought a shortwave radio might be a good idea.

I know that I can get a lot of stations on the web, but I'm often in places with no/poor mobile coverage, so I think a proper radio is best.

I've looked at the CC Skywave AM, FM, Shortwave, Weather + Alert and VHF Airband Small Portable Travel Radio. It seems ok.

Would anyone have any advice or tips for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I've never been out of regular car radio (FM or Medium wave) range in Europe.......

but, any portable radio with a Shortwave section will pick up the broadcast stations.

an external antenna input would be a bonus, so you could throw a loose wire over a tree and increase your reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

I'd recommend the XHDATA D-808 SWL radio I keep mine in my Camper all the time as its very compact, fantastic RX range on both the stock antenna and the Longwire antenna that also comes with it. It is also re-chargable via any Usb charger so very portable. I've posted a review also below.. hope this helps. Best 73.

https://swling.com/blog/2021/05/dan-revisits-the-venerable-xhdata-d-808-portable-radio/

Advertisement