Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner moving into council house

• 23-07-2023 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I received a council house as I was a single mother. I have since met and got engaged to my partner and due to get married in December. If he moves into the house with me and my child will I be reassessed including his salary? We would be over the threshold and I’m afraid they will take the house off me. Can they do that or would they just raise the rent?

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is the situation in Fingal, afaik it is much the same anywhere else.

If anyone is planning to move into a Council property they should contact Housing Allocations to obtain a Permission to Reside form. Please be aware that the weekly rent may increase with the addition of an extra person and this additional rent will be back-dated to when the person moved in.

Dublin Co.Co:

Can I add another person to my household/tenancy? No. Not without permission from the Council. If another person is coming to live as part of your household, a Permission to Reside form must be completed and submitted to Rents Section, Dublin City Council, Wood Quay, Dublin 8, for approval. If the request to reside is approved, the person being added to your tenancy/household must submit their income details so that they can be assessed for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Holland 204

Thanks for your reply @looksee. I am in cork but I presume similar rules apply. Do you know if they can take the house off me or does ’assessed for rent’ just mean they will increase the rent? I am happy to pay more I just do t want the house that I have furnished to be take know from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

They wont/cant take the house from you even if you are now over the income limit( same thing could happen if you won the lottery in the morning), but you need to apply to the Council for permission for your partner to reside there.

Rent will definitely increase though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No you won’t lose the house. Your rent will go up though but you’d expect that. He can’t move in until you get permission first.

Advertisement