Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish election today

Options
  • 23-07-2023 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭

Polls close at 7pm GMT and looks like a new new leader will be in place going by the betting.

To be next President after today's election.

Alberto Nunez Feijoo - 1.1

Pedro Sanchez - 8.6

Santiago Abascal - 110.0

Yolanda Diaz - 1000.0

Ione Belarra - 1000.0

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Pains me to say it but I want PP to win outright because having them form a coalition with Vox will be a disaster and undo a lot of good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looking forward to PP/Vox forming the next government

Any particular reason why?

PP are the standard neo-lib European conservative party riddled with corruption and a few murky types who pander to the hard-right as its gaining ground.

Vox are apologists for a dictatorship and will try yo re-write history. They also want to remove some of the rights that have been granted to minority groups and block any further progress. Vox will be disruptive because they will never be big enough to win outright so they'll just complain how the elites are keeping them down.

From the projected results, PP won 61 seats, PSOE lost 12 and Vox lost 21. Its hardly an endorsement of Vox and more a desire to move to the right. It looks like that coalition will have a majority of five seats so they'll need to keep a lid on some of their more extreme members as PP still need to appeal to the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

It sickens me to think that Vox may make it to government.

And they have wasted no time apply their agenda at local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

If current EU countries handled illegal immigration flooding Europe better, there would be very little right wing groups making gains. People are obviously sick of it and will make their voices heard at the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭brickster69

Betting a lot closer now

Alberto Nunez Feijoo - 1.42

Pedro Sanchez - 2.66

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Looking like neither block has enough to make a government, looks like more elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I have to say Pedro Sánchez is a master tactician, he was dead and buried after the May municipal elections. Calling the snap general elections was a stroke of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Vox seat projection down from 56 to 33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

An Ipsos poll for La Vanguardia this month found that the economy was the single biggest issue for voters, with 31% of those surveyed putting it at the top of their list. Next was unemployment (10%) and healthcare (9%). Immigration, one of Vox’s favourite talking points, was the most important issue for just 2% of those polled.

Abascal just after giving a very bitter speech, blaming everyone else and not accepting that people are losing interest in his message. There was also the disappearance of Ciudadanos, another centre-right group, and those votes clearly went to PP.

What the results show is people aren't buying what he's selling. This was a good chance for them to gain ground and they've fallen behind. They may well form part of a government but that's because PP will want to govern at all costs. Vox will be very weak and I hope they get chewed up and spat out afterwards. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Are Vox & PP not still on track to scrape a majority?

PP have 136 (up 47)

PSOE 122 (up 2)

Vox 33 (down 19)

Sumar 31 (down 7)

176 needed for a working majority.

PP + Vox (169), PSOE + Sumar (153). It'll come down to the smaller regional parties and I doubt either side is going to be able to form a strong government. Or another election which probably won't change much. Good to see, as happened in 2019, when push comes to shove, the people don't want the far right getting in.

True, but they are only 7 away.

Is it not possible for them to band with a smaller party to make the 176?

Seems much more likley than the left closing a gap of 23, no?

The small parties with bigger numbers are Basque and Catalan ones (25 seats between them) and they will never work with PP and PP will never work with them and Vox even less so. They're more likely to work with PSOE but that's not guaranteed either.

There's a smattering of really small parties but they wouldn't add up to much at all.

Every one hates him for calling an election in the middle of what is normally holiday time for the public in Spain. Clever as would lead to lower turnout but as it looks like neither side can form a government elections will probably be held in Autumn or winter.

None of the smaller parties will support PP/Vox to form a government.

Also looks like Vox policies pushed more voters back to PP and that's why they lost some of the gains they made at the last election

Turnout was 70.4% which is about standard for general elections here. They were also saying on the telly that the higher the turnout, the bigger the vote for the left while a lower turnout tends to favour the right.

There were two million postal votes and a big postal vote campaign. The timing is shite but it didn't stop people voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I did see some British right types cheering for Vox. I don’t think they did their homework. Would have been the only entertaining aspect of them power sharing below.

Gibraltar fears a hard border with Spain. Vox has called for it to be suffocated in to submission. In May, their leader said any deal with the UK that did not recover Spanish sovereignty would be a betrayal.

All the talk of Vox amounted to sweet F.A. Lost 19 seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I saw that. He knows that PP are so strong now that Vox have lost their leverage, so to speak. They still need each other in the regional governments. Just heard that Abascal called last night for a repeat of the elections. I am delighted to see them going down.

I also saw Rufián's (ERC) speech; now the pro independence parties are the key for any coalition. It's going to be a difficult term.

It's a Hung parliament so expect another election probably some time in November December.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. And very unlikely the smaller parties would support them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It didn't though. The turnout was high. The expected losses to PSOE didn't materialise.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Yeah it was a very clever and gusty move and it appears to have worked.

Advertisement