Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fáil Councillor Tells Lodger Not to Cook and to Wash Dishes in Bathroom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Ahh would you go on.

People get all enraged on here and act as if they are all working for the good of humanity. Majority and I say the majority of people in Ireland these days are only looking after themselves and out to make a "quick buck".

Just look at the amount of rip off charities etc which is just filling up greedy peoples pockets while the people they advertise they are helping dont see much of donations at all.

This is no defence to the FF councillor and she will be rightly dumped come next election you would hope. But trying to play the Irish people as if they give a damn is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

What a sad world you must live in, if you genuinely believe the majority of irish people are looking to make a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Meh, could be worse

On RTÉ One this Thursday at 9.35pm, Prime Time will run an exposé on landlords who are exploiting the sorry state of Ireland’s housing market to obtain sex from prospective renters.  The show will reveal footage of undercover journalism exposing landlords asking for sex “twice a week” from desperate renters

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Does Micheal Martin have an opinion?

Lucky for that French girl that Deirdre Conroy doesn't swing both ways. Considering how self entitled she appeared yesterday, the rent could have been 260 a week plus a weekly scissoring session.

• Advertisement

I live in the same one as you!!

It's the monthly special from Prime Time on Landlords.

Maybe they could come up with a new idea, outside the box, a special on the RTE expenses budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bartkingcole

I think it would be a really really really bad idea to attempt to regulate this sector of the market. The vast majority of live in landlords are decent as are the vast majority of tenants. Most people just want to get on with their lives. Hopefully this ‘news cycle’ will put manners on some of the bad landlords and not discourage others from renting out rooms - more people renting out spare capacity is needed not less.

Nobody on this thread has suggested regulations for rent a room, or having a lodger. Probably because most people assume all thats needed is comon sense and common courtesy. Thats why what was said about Councillor Conroy was so shocking. Bringing in over 1K a month but unwilling to replace her 16 year old microwave and using the excuse that you dont use the microwave in the summer anyway 🙄.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I seen this story over the weekend.

We need regulation and enforced rules of every section of the housing market, with hefty penalties for people who break the rules/regs

The gas thing is the government could solve the housing crisis in a couple of months if it wanted to. Most TD's are LL's or get a lot of votes from LL's and it just doesn't suit them to fix

My rules would be (For Dublin):

• A max rental price per sq ft per area in a radial fashion from DCC, (the further out you go the cheaper it gets)
    • Minimum size apartments per person
    • Individuals and Married couples may only have two properties in rent pressure zone, you can have more if you set up a Ltd company and transfer the properties to the company.
    • You cannot rent something that has an outstanding mortgage on it or a property use as a guarantee against a mortgage on another property.
    • If renting a room: No 5 night leases (IE No "cant be there on the weekend")
    • if renting a room: full use of facilities where there is only 1 such facility (IE if there is only one kitchen then everyone in the house has use of that kitchen)
    • Communal renting forbidden
    • Legal requirement to be on the RTB if renting a room or a property (Doesn't matter if it's you friend or brother that you're renting to)
    • Empty property tax of some description starting off at €5,000 P/A

If the above were enforced, that force all the people "Investing" and sitting on properties to F**k off and invest in something else. Profits by rental companies (companies that are actually delivering something) would be moderate. Rents would come down and there would plenty of houses for sale.

Again, the government can solve this issue easily. At last count there were 37,000 empty properties in Dublin alone, and nearly 170k across the country. They just don't want to as they'd step on to many toes.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected.

Beta Ray Bill, I'm a renter and disagree with many of your recommendations. What have you got against Communal renting?

Plus, in Ireland we are great at creating regulations but terrible at enforcing them.

5% of the population are estimated to be narcissistic. I’ve had up to 4 bosses with that tendency over time. People devoid of conscience. I don’t let people like that away with it, I make life difficult by telling them very directly what I think, my last ever day at work was doing just that, I had a heart attack and never worked again. The individual had accused me: “you are the problem in this place, you cause every problem that happens”. It was later found that she was siphoning off cash, got removed out of the job, I had implemented a spreadsheet to help account forensically for shortfalls in takings. She had said “You think you know everything, all you do is complicate things”. I was into what was happening and it came to a head when she later accused a colleague of theft, but was too stupid to realise she was on CCTV doing the frame-up. It was only small money, but she was using it to pay the rent.

So I do have very good reason to be paranoid about what drives a small but very manifest proportion of society.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

If the system was set up fairly, there would be no need for communal renting.

Plus, in Ireland we are great at creating regulations but terrible at enforcing them.

And here in lies the dilemma... I do not know how to fix that.

Many commodities are regulated in Ireland. the amount of fish you can catch, the size of herds, the amount of grain produced, the fossil fuels we're allowed to use (Only E10 now), the amount of trees you can cut down, permitted medication, permitted science, etc. Why should housing be any different?

I'm not putting anyone out on the street here. Just invest in something else.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

the french lady was staying in her house. her actual home

as much as a geebag she was... its her home, her rules .

You cant have it any other way - tell people how to conduct themselves in their own home if something I cant abide by.

If it was a rented accommodation then I'd agree with the sentiment in the thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the system was set up fairly, there would be no need for communal renting.

Lots of young people don't want to live alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The sentiment is that Conroy is a ghoul, not that she did anything illegal.

The behaviour is certainly something I think is fair for the constituents of an elected representative to know about.

Point taken.

Perhaps some additional rules about Students and communal living, but now there's greyness...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

That Liveline interview is an absolute car crash for her

• Registered Users Posts: 82,492 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Eh. I’ve done Irish student digs myself and regulation would have been welcome. They were ‘decent’ but also spent my rent money on beercans - while both adults were on the dole, and then they’d ask me to forward next months rent every couple weeks because they hadn’t kept money aside for their daughters lunches. ‘Decent’ yeah, I had the run of the kitchen and they made a good leg of lamb once in a while in the beginning that’s for sure. They started to get a bit cracked after 2 other renters left because one of the owners was breaking into the renters own liquor and refilling it with water.

more relevant here this lady lists back and forth in the interview and her blogs etc and past incidents from acting in all but name as a landlady but don’t call her a landlady. It just screams a knowing that regulation for her should be on the horizon either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think the main point is that this lady is a public representative and a wannabee TD so her attitude in this situation is relevant in that she seems like a bit of a c*nt (and not the brightest). A Maria Bailey-alike if ever there was one

Minor aside, the reason the room is 260/week is because it falls just under the 14k rent a room allowance, the 400pw thing is complete nonsense

Just open those eyes

All we have is rip offs in every sector. housing is the biggest but so is construction

We have a national broadcaster that is ripping off tax payers. TD and councillors

We have people sitting in hotels demanding new homes etc etc

The list goes on and on. I noticed you have yet to provide anything to suggest we don't live in a country with the majority money hungry.

She's very Maria Bailey-like because she also sued a travel company for an injury she sustained while skiing. Cut from the same cloth as they say.

Unless you have the details of the case and then not sure how you can make that call. Maybe share what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭thebourke

plus she doesn't pay tax on it up to 14,000euro as rent a room relief in her house...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The sad thing is she'll probably get voted back in by blocking cycle lanes and new developments.

260 a week by 52 weeks comes to 13520. Literally just under the threshold. Funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭thebourke

maybe she could be the next minister for housing??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The key thing is this councillor believes she is being perfectly reasonable. If her attitude is representative of the government parties then Ireland is in bigger trouble than we realise.

Even on this thread we have comments suggesting the vast majority of landlords are decent. If this woman is anything to go by, the vast majority of landlords believe they are decent. Whether the rest of us would agree is debatable.

Advertisement