Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good mesh system for under €300

Options
  • 25-07-2023 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

This is my current setup and house layout.

My house is about 1200 square feet (this is an estimation based on a similarly sized house in our park that went for sale recently). So I currently have 500 Mb FTTH and am currently with Sky. The ONT and ISP router is in the hall.

Current speed tests are pretty good to be fair (test done using a Pixel 7 Pro phone and the Ookla SpeedTest app).

Standing right next to the router in the hall I get close to 490+ Mbps fairly consistently in the back of the house (opposite corner than the router) I 'm getting between 350 and 400 Mbps. Upstairs in my office (directly above the router I'm getting the same 490+ Mbps. Back bedroom is about 350 to 400 Mbps. There is only 1 really bad spot upstairs (a bedroom furthest away from the router) its getting about 150 Mbps.

Now 2 important notes I'm getting an extension done which will be increasing the size of the kitchen I also plan on running cables directly from the router straight up to the office (its directly above the router). This work should be done within the next 6 months.

So I'm looking for a good mesh system for under €300 that must meet the following criteria.

-It will need to be connected to the ISP router and configurable in access point mode. The ISP router supplies a phone line so it cant be replaced or set to bridge mode.

-I need to be able to configure 2 sperate SSID's for both the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. I have a lot of smart switches and will only connect to 2.4 ghz networks

-Only require 2 nodes for now (main node+1 node) but may add a third later.

-WIFI 6 if possible however if this is beyond my budget that's optional. At the moment I only have 2 WIFI 6 capable devices in the house (pixel phone and work laptop).

My goal is try and get a consistent 490/500 Mbps downstairs so I would be placing the node in the back of the house, if I get an additional node I would hard wire that in my office once the cable run is done to improve the upstairs blackspot (there are no devices in that black spot so not a priority for now).

Advertisement