Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting new job when in Redundancy Notice Period

• 25-07-2023 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

My employer has advised that my role (and others) will be terminated at some point in the next few months due to a company re-org. There is a possibility of a different role within the company, but I'm not overly keen on this.

I've no detail yet on what a redundancy package might look like, but as I've a lot of years put in, if its more than statutory it could be a decent payout.

Looking at the job market, there are some interesting roles advertised now.

As my work has already started to wind down - what would be the implications of me starting a new role/new company before receiving a redundancy payment? I presume Revenue would not treat it as tax efficiently as they would normally? If I had multiple employments, would it be just treated as normal PAYE income and taxed in the normal manner. I know my old employer could potentially revoke the redundancy offer if they found out, etc.

I'm just weighing up the pros and cons of the whole thing. There is a chance that I will only receive statutory redundancy, which I would sooner quit than accept to be brutally honest, especially if I had another role lined up.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You can't be made redundant if you are not still employed by your former employer and obtaining money be deception is called fraud and could result in a criminal complain if your former employer found out. Whether the DPP would prosecute and whether you would be convicted is something you might want to ask over in the legal forum.

Advertisement