Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted number plates

Options
  • 25-07-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭

What is the story with them? Are people actually getting away with having them? its taking the piss in my opinion as are the people with no front number plate.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Motors.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I don't know how are they allowed. Difficult to read.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I kind of like them, but they're not legal. You've the hassle of changing for the nct. I asked a guy who has a load of his cars with them (business) and he doesn't get hassle from the police. I expect if you do get pulled for something genuine they'll add it to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

would a speed camera be able to read them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a legally defined number plate and anything that doesn't conform is illegal.

NCT can and do fail non legal plates.

On the road AGS generally don't bother unless the vehicle is stopped for some other reason.

Multi agency checkpoints including Revenue Commissioners will issue fines.

I think the next fad will be no plates at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I wondered just that myself this morning as I saw the third truck in as many journeys without a number plate on the trailer.

Was on the cab though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Back in the late 80's people would buy a new car in November/December and drive around in it with "For Reg" as the number plate until January when they would register the car, thus getting them a car cheaper because dealers gave better deals at year end. This was eventually clamped down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sometimes trucks forget or the reg falls off

Other times there is no way to hold the reg on the trailer as shape is wrong or fixings are missing. No excuse but I think there is mitigating circumstances. They may pull multiple trailers per day and it's hassle to create a holder on old worn trailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

saw a 231 BMW SUV - WHITE with no plate with just black 231 C xxx - no euro or county name - it looked really well on a white car but obviously totally illegal and dont approve

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those were probably just garage display plates. Car could have been out on a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just curious if there is anything like this outside of Ireland. I'm sure it happens in countries lower down on the development index, but for sake of argument, has anyone ever seen unapproved number plates in another OECD country?

I know I'm more likely to see this sort of thing in Ireland as I live here, but I've travelled a reasonable bit and never seen modified plates in any other country. The closest I've seen is personalised "cherished" plates in the UK, but they're still legal, and conform to the law on size, font, colour, etc.

Ireland seems to be a free-for-all... grey-tinted plates, yellow plates (a Donegal and Monaghan specialty), and squirly unreadable fancy handwriting fonts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres plenty of illegal plates in the UK, incorrect spacing, incorrect sizing, 4D etc.

I saw a 07 turned into Q7 on a BMW once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Plenty of the significantly raised 3d plates in the Netherlands last few times I've been there. Haven't seen italics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I assume the motorist concerned informs their insurer that they are not complying with legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's revenue legislation so it won't have any repercussions for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They don’t look as bad on the Dutch plates for some reason, think the font is different or they don’t have the letters as thick as you see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭mada999

unreal, dont know what the craic is.... maybe it's a monkey see, monkey do kind of thing.... like smoking back in the day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Where do people get these tinted plates in the first place.

Can they be read by speed cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Kurooi

This should be a no BS policy specific design, font size and even the smallest change from it is penalty and fines.

There are plenty of vanity plates on the road and most have in the slightest way reduced the font size or introduced flourishes and italics that overall make the reg harder to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Seen a good few black on dark grey plates that are barely legible, a sign of the increasingly lawlessness on the road.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

Yes and on new cars

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭SVI40

I travel the M50 every weekday for work, and the amount of trailers with no registration plate, or one not matching the cab is getting more and more common. It's like the drivers don't care, as the chances of being pulled over are probably zero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement