Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted number plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The standard German font does not meet the size required by the legislation, namely the 70mm letter height, a modified version of a similar typeface on a plastic plate could be made to these dimensions but a pressed plate with the genuine German dies will not.

The Gel plates fall foul of the following piece of SI 318/1992

"7. An identification mark which is exhibited on a plastic plate shall be affixed with an adhesive substance to the rear of the plate and be so affixed that it cannot be readily detached therefrom."

If you require clarification, the letters on a gel plate are affixed to the front of the plate not the rear of the plate and they most certainly can be readily detached.

Tinted or yellow or any other such plates fall foul of this:

"9. The identification mark and placename shall be formed of black characters and shall be exhibited on white reflex reflective material so that the identification mark appears at all times from the front of the plate as black characters on a white background."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭User1998

I guess its just NCT testers giving leeway then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Typically as with a lot of things in Ireland, the rules are not enforced. its all fun and game until someone does something serious and drives away in their car with black number plates, and witnesses cant read them and report the number to the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That and the fact that many of the offenders have a legal set of plates in the boot and fit them for the test.

A young lad was showing me his new second hand car last week and he had two sets of plates in the boot.

I wouldn't wish a Draconian €5k fine on a young lad.

He has done his test, saved up for a car and insurance and apart from the plates is legal on the road.

,€5 k is a multiple of the fines imposed for serious breaches of Road Traffic legislation such as speeding or mechanical vehicle defects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Theres no chance the M50 toll cameras can read them. Surprised they are not making an issue out of it for lost or potential lost revenue.

I couldn't make one out less than 2 metres from me when stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

It's not just young lads with their pride and joy cheap second hand car though. This morning I passed a brand sparklingg new Ford Transit complete with grey number plates. I've seen loads of 241 cars with grey or 3d plates around me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree but I'm sure that like myself you were once young and foolish 🙂

It's just that €5k is a bit of a heavy price for silly plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

There is no fine.

The law was updated for it to a FCPN, the corresponding finance act, for which it shares subsections with, haven't been updated with the fine amount.

Btw.. the FCPN fine is supposed to be €60, but the finance act doesn't reflect this, so until that happens.. nothing will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭Goose81

I got done for having a small plate on my bike by a Garda few years ago, he just told me to go to the station and prove I had changed them back.

I sellotape the full size plate to the bike and took a picture on my phone and went to the Garda station with that and they accepted no problem 😂

Other than that never had an issue with any Garda and all my bikes have had these small plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Didn't you once say "you'd have to admire the courage of someone willing to risk the consequences of breaking the law", or words to that effect, when cars were getting wing-mirrored by scrotes? Does that not apply to drivers/cars? Or is it only when the drivers are the victims that you think it's admirable?

Thanks for that information.

Does that mean that in the interim people using non standard plates cannot be prosecuted ?

When they do get around to it will traffic wardens be able to issue the FCPN as well as AGS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So you went out of your way to put smaller plates on your bikes (which I presume are harder to read by passers by) and the only time you got caught then sellotaping the proper size on was sufficient? SMH.

Yes, they can still be very easily read and I have had many compliments from Garda about the bike and none of them have ever mentioned the reg other than this one Garda.

Nothing to do with trying the evade any sort of detection or for speeding, the size mandated which seems to be Europe wide looks absolutely ridiculous and ruins the whole look of the bike, they were never designed to take such stupidly large plates. Not just the plate that was changed the whole unit that takes the indicators and reg.

I sellotape the proper size on for 10 seconds to take a picture that I showed the Garda on my phone when I went to the station. It was never driven with sellotaped plates.

TBH, I'd be reasonably confident that I never said any such thing about cars getting wing-mirrored, but feel free to go searching and prove me wrong.

Either way, it's not really got anything to do with lads running dodgy plates.

What if you meet the Guard again? You might also be surprised that incidents like can be on record for years after, I have seen this myself.

Just make sure you can flee to a Country Ireland doesn't have an extradition agreement with. 😉

Way to dodge the question.

It may not have been in response to wing mirrors being removed but you definitely said it. I'll try to dig it up but the search function has been borked on boards for almost three decades at this point.

Edit: Found it

It was in relation to air being let out of tyres, not wing mirrors, but the question remains…..do you admire everyone who risks ending up with a conviction or is it only when they're criminally damaging cars that you find it admirable?

• Advertisement

There's a fair ol difference between deflating a tyre and breaking a wing mirror, in terms of getting it fixed. To fix a deflated tyre, you pump air into it. It's an inconvenience, not damaging. I've never heard of anyone getting a criminal conviction for deflating a tyre, but perhaps it has happened.

There's also a fair ol difference between deflating a tyre in an attempt to stop our planet melting, and fitting a fancy plastic reg plate which may well avoid vehicle identification in an attempt to look cool.

Not really in the same ballpark at all.

Question dodged again, I see.

I had a feeling you knew exactly what I was talking about, but were being deliberately obtuse my mentioning the wing mirrors. Looks like I was correct.

There's a fair ol difference between deflating a tyre and breaking a wing mirror, in terms of getting it fixed. To fix a deflated tyre, you pump air into it. It's an inconvenience, not damaging.

It's illegal. So is using dark tinted plates. You admire one act, but not the other. I was wondering why (we all know why, but I wanted to hear your own justification for it), so I asked the question. I'd argue that deflating someone else's tyre is magnitudes of order worse than using a tinted plate, but whatever. Your refusal to answer the question has scuppered any further exploration of that thought.

I've never heard of anyone getting a criminal conviction for deflating a tyre, but perhaps it has happened.

A complete non-sequitur. You're the one who admires people who risk the conviction, you're the one who brought it into the conversation in the first place.

There's also a fair ol difference between deflating a tyre in an attempt to stop our planet melting, and fitting a fancy plastic reg plate which may well avoid vehicle identification in an attempt to look cool.

Not really in the same ballpark at all.

Agreed. Messing with someone else's property is much, much worse than a crime that doesn't really impact on anyone else in any direct, meaningful, tangible way.

What law makes deflating a tyre illegal please?

What makes you think someone would answer your question when you've repeatedly refused to answer theirs?

The Road traffic Act 1961 is the law.

113.—(1) A person shall not, without lawful authority or reasonable cause, interfere or attempt to interfere with the mechanism of a mechanically propelled vehicle while it is stationary in a public place, or get on or into or attempt to get on or into the vehicle while it is so stationary.

Why do you admire one act of law breaking and not the other?

Honestly, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that deflating a tyre is 'interfering with the mechanism'? Is a tyre a mechanism? It's just a bit of rubber, and when deflated, is easily inflated.

I've made my position on both issues absolutely clear. I've refused to answer your 'have you stopped beating your wife yet' question.

Honestly, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that deflating a tyre is 'interfering with the mechanism'? Is a tyre a mechanism?

Yes. The wheels and tyres form part of the mechanism of the car. You cannot drive with flat tyres. Interfering with them is illegal.

It's just a bit of rubber, and when deflated, is easily inflated.

When you have a pump to hand, and possess the ability to use it. Plenty of people out there who don't have either.

I've made my position on both issues absolutely clear. I've refused to answer your 'have you stopped beating your wife yet' question.

You haven't. The issue is the same in both instances; i.e. the courage of risking a conviction after breaking the law. You've made two separate statements which directly contradicting each other, hence the request to elaborate on them. Your refusal to elaborate speaks volumes. Your insistence that "why do you think this about x and not y" is a leading question is completely absurd and is nothing but a way of dodging a valid and legitimate question.

Are you a legal expert now, that puts you in a position to confirm the legal definition of 'mechanism' when it comes to vehicles?

The difference in the two situations was made absolutely clear in my first response, just ICYMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭flyer_query

Its all level as @AndrewJRenko and @Yeah Right contend for the crown of king of the internet. Its expected to go late into the night as both contestants fuel up on a can of monster. Serious dedication from both participants in this tit for tat with one contestant even throwing in a few multi quotes. can the underdog year right beat the seasoned champ Renko with an impressive 30k posts of junk. Stay tuned

No, I'm not. But anyone claiming that both wheels AND tyres aren't essential for a car to be mechanically propelled is being deliberately obtuse, like you are. You're simply refusing to back down and attempting to wriggle out of the inconsistency of your two opposing beliefs without actually offering anything by way of an explanation of WHY you admire one illegal act and not the other. You are, to put it bluntly, caught with your pants down and refusing to accept it.

I mean, forget about the tinted plates for a sec……..Do you admire EVERYONE who runs the risk of a conviction for an illegal act? Obviously not, or you'd be admiring rapists and murderers……..so where do you draw the line?

Plus, the irony of you presuming you're right when you're obviously not a legal expert either is delicious.

The difference in the two situations was made absolutely clear in my first response, just ICYMI.

Yes, of course the acts carried out in both scenarios are different. But, for the purposes of this debate, the crux of both is the same as they are both illegal.

You admire one illegal act and hold the other in contempt. I was wondering why, is all. Instead of giving an honest answer, we have angels dancing on pinheads instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭flyer_query

@Yeah Right moves 1 point up after a carefully considered post that took 30mins to complete.

Advertisement