Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The scumm know the free legal aid solicitors and judges couldn’t care less who’s beaten up on the streets be it local or tourist ….. plus there’s no prison space … why wouldn’t they beat up someone for a phone or a few quid ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Who would you rather have as the police force in Dublin City Centre?

Or

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭briany

The thing is that your experience is probably typical. When you think of the thousands of people who pour through Dublin CC, the vast, vast, vast majority experience no aggro whatsoever day in and day out. Going back to the old conversation about Dublin vs. the rest of the country, there are probably some people who would react to Dublin CC being declared a 'no-go area' with a certain amount of glee.

Anyway, to be honest, I've felt more on edge in Limerick town than in Dublin CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭growleaves

This might be one for @Donald Trump but my question to anyone who might know is: what is the role of legislators in sentencing guidelines?

When Michael McDowell complained about "soft" judges I thought that was absurd - because surely the judiciary cannot simply defy the legislature when it comes to sentencing?

If violent offenders get multiple slaps on the wrist the Minister for Justice and the Dáil must have some say over that.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Those 5 foot pipsqueaks, as you refer to them, have passed a fitness test, or else they wouldn't be in the force.

What do failed applicants have to do with anything? Let alone policing?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Complete change in discussion, but I love kilkenny city. I really want the odachowder in the hibernian hotel.

Back on topic. Was in Dublin cc today. I survived.

Every piece of legislation has sentencing as part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭growleaves

Be careful what you wish for though because police forces in other countries often have scandals of their own that don't get publicised over here.

Ones I have heard about are London Met gunning down an innocent tourist and Melbourne police tackling a pregnant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

That's great and long may it continue, but as you've said yourself - you were born and raised there. Those areas wouldn't have many of the 'easy targets' these young fellas are generally looking for. A tourist wanders into some of those places at night time and you might find it a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kilkenny town is lovely. I'm not saying Limerick is bad either, just that, oddly enough, I felt a bit more on edge in certain parts of it the times I was there. But this is what it probably comes down to in most places - certain area and certain time of day. Wrong place and time... your experience of it could possibly be a fair bit worse than what is typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

I've walked down Talbot Street from Connolly Stn, an my way to the Maldron Hotel, Parnell Sq, after alighting from the last Enterprise from Belfast dozens of times - I'm always wary, just as i would be in any large City late at night, but I've never felt uneasy. I'd probably feel more uneasy walking through Leeds city centre.

Earlier this week I walked through Leeds at 7am, two hulking Peelers sporting the black lycra gear that British forces now go in for sat in a BMW SUV, while 100yds away some a scrote is roaring away at some young females and reeling around with a can of loopy-juice - of course the finest had their windows tight up so were oblivious to anything going outside their vehicle, and the very idea that they might actually like to drive around - or, God forbid, get out of the bloody thing - didn't seem to have occurred to them, they were quite happy chatting away, staring at a completely empty shopping precinct. The failure of the will to police properly isn't confined to the Irish Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

And you'll find that the group to which you are referring are not of Romanian origin. This is akin to the those tarmac-ing drives in the UK and ripping off the elderly in the US being referred to as 'Irish'.

If they are Romany, best refer to them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Grudge i'd say/ Probably caught doing something illegal.

Edit, tmi

'the finest ' as you refer to them, were waiting and observing. There is nothing about West Yorkshire police, that suggests they don't do their job, unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

There's a fooking chain of command and the idea that the Justice Minister is not above the Gardai is absolutely **** laughable. Christ there are some idiots about that cannot grasp that basic fact.

If the Gardai are not pulling their weight Helen needs to haul Drew over the coals. The Gardai upper rank should be absolutely quaking at that yet she is like a kitten absolutely terrified to do that.

Therefore Leo needs to haul Helen over the coals for an abdication of her responsibilities. But Leo doesn't want to upset her or is afraid to offend anyone.

So with this, the book stops at the top. Weak leadership all round, it's a **** shitshow! Leo Varadkar is atrocious and things have been disastrous under his watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,741 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If they were in a BMW SUV then they were an armed unit and they're going to be getting into a scrap with some pissed cnut. No more than ASU would here, they'll call for a regular unit and he'll be told to head off or lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Abolosh all social welfare payments for repeat offenders of anti-social behaviours.

Social means Society.

If they want to rely on the rest of society to live, then they better show society some respect. If they don't, well then they can go live in a ditch. See how that works out for them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd be a believer in Boot Camps myself. Up at 6am and good long route marches and a bit of hard work afterwards. Put discipline into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Was in this week and over to some of the "worst areas", all fine. Didn't expect any problems as usually ok except at night. For a woman walking alone.

Think this is 'drinking on the street fuelled' and mainly a nighttime feature.

I would be on my guard at night.

• Advertisement

This is the thing in anywhere. Uncomfortable, get out. It's not rocket surgery. No dig at you by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

For sentencing, it depends on the crime. Generally a range of sentences can be given, but it will be left to the discretion of the court as to the exact one to impose. The reason is the separation of powers between the legislature and the judiciary. Mandatory sentencing or fines are usually ok for minor offences where the "crime" is fixed and the same for everyone who commits it (e.g. losing your licence after getting 12 points)

We do however have mandatory life sentences for murder and those were upheld as constitutional in both Lynch & Whelan v Minister for Justice.

There is nothing ultimately stopping the legislature from introducing new categories for crimes committed against Gardai. We already have murder under Section 3 (which used to be capital murder .... although the barrier can be quite high to reach - the reference for that being the case of the Murrays who were sentenced to death but then later had their conviction overturned to just regular murder)

Wary is good. Anywhere. I'm the same myself. I don't feel intimidated certainly not by hulks.

If you feel scared it's honestly your issue. You definitely shouldn't feel that way Anywhere. Still your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Guidelines my f**king arse. The vast majority of the types of trash that are involved in these crimes are reliant on the government to survive. But they get a free pass to do whatever they like.

I'm self employed, and I also have to rely on the government to survive, because every single cent I process through my books has to be accounted for. If not, then certain branches of the state will come down on me like a ton of bricks. Can put me out of business.

Why cant this trash be put out of business through their dependancy on certain other branches of the state?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noc1980

The overwhelming majority in Tijuana & Baltimore can say the exact same thing. They go about their business unharmed. It doesn't change the fact that they're violent dangerous cities and so is Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Dublin is just getting worse and worse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s a daft comparison. How about the Swiss police in full riot gear doing Jerusalema then? You reckon this would prevent them from policing Dublin City Centre?

Difficult to know what way people would react to that spectacle if it were in Dublin City Centre, but at least if you’re going to attempt comparisons - compare like with like.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to see rank and file members of the force armed. I’d rather a force who knows how to use their brains rather than attempting to rely on brawn and weapons, expecting that makes for an efficient police force which inspires public confidence in their authority.

No, not armed - you can tell from the ariels. And even if they had been they were totally unaware of what was happening, so weren't in a position to summon anybody anyway.

• Advertisement

"'the finest ' as you refer to them, were waiting and observing. There is nothing about West Yorkshire police, that suggests they don't do their job, unless you have some evidence to the contrary?"

Waiting and observing an empty shopping precinct at 7am? West Yorkshire Police are on the whole fine, but there's doing a job and doing it properly, and you don't prevent crime chatting in a car isolated from the world outside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement