Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I've yet to hear of an innocent tourist attacked in either of those places by feral youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There has been a few generations now over the last 30 years of children having children and children rearing children.

When teens have children they are to young to be actual parents themselves and this usually leaves the grandparents to raise their own kids and now their grandkids who may not have support for the childs otherside of the family.

So parenting gets lost with just surviving and trying to live.

If the state intervenes the inevitable god damn nanny states groups that shout the loudest saying leave those children alone pile in.

Personal responsibility needs to come into this and they need to find out there is consequences for actions.

You kick someone in the head on the street you go to prison no matter what your age is.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I've been to both Riyadh and jennah and walked both during day (stupidly given the heat) and at night and never a bad look or word said. There are no "rough areas" . Ironically in both Riyadh and Dublin if you publicly burn a Koran you get in trouble, but not if you burn a bible.

Re boot camp, I feel for the non-voluntary recruits, it could build up even further anger and resentment after they are back in society. They might be learning how one can bully people into submission, and that might just be their biggest take-away from it.

Sone kind of disciplined service to society might be in order, where they might learn that effort gets put into making things nice.

Tokyo is a good example of how it is usually an incredibly safe city to wander anywhere day or night, alone. The most danger I found myself in was a man offering me his umbrella to take as it was a very wet night. I know there have been exceptions with rare terrorist type of things happening in Japan, by by and large an ordinary tourist Has nothing to worry about and can wander at will without fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭growleaves

The DPRK doesn't allow independent tourism. If you are allowed into the country you are being surveilled by Army personnel at all times. Your interactions with every person you encounter are effectively stage-managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Surprisingly in Dublin I haven't either.

You will in Dublin if you burn anything outside your house without a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Perhaps they could clean the tourist blood off the streets?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Well it would be better than the crap that is happening at the moment and not just in Dublin.

I saw a typical scumbag in Limerick City centre push a guard and walk away.

A police force is dependent on either respect or fear or ideally both. The Gardai have neither. I know from a cousin who is a Garda that a while back he hit a guy who was causing a violent disturbance.

He hit him on the legs and arms 3 times. Said scumbag reported the garda for excessive force , and backed by a local politician. He was on desk paperwork duty for 3 weeks.

Our society is 100% breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You can actually find stats on safety in cities based on those who visit them and recorded crime rates from various sites

Probably more reliable than someone linking to a gript twitter post about a teenage girl being arrested in Leeds and stating that the Gardaí are wasting their time time doing so but are forced to do so by the government, D1 being a violent ghetto, Bible and Koran burning as well as other imaginary scenarios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Recommending we cut their welfare or their parent's welfare is a complete non-runner and anyone who thinks otherwise is living in fantasyland. These 'feral youth' usually come from the areas with high amounts of welfare dependants, and the idea that the solution is to make these people poorer is just not going to work. If anything, would make it worse.

I worked in the Dublin library service all my working life, and children being reared by children is the absolute norm for a cohort of society. An example, a 12 year old malnourish and very sweet natured girl was minding her younger sister by another father, that child being a handful. Mother an overfed aggressive type but obviously highly intelligent and could have made something much better of her life. Yet another baby was born, days old when that oldest girl brought him/her into the library. A step too far, we asked why the baby wasn’t with their mother, answer was “mum and her new boyfriend have a bad hangover”. A staff member contacted social services.

Some years later I got talking to that girl and asked her what she was doing. She was an 18 year old, dedicated to studies, she obviously had her mother’s innate intellect, and must have been born of an innately good and calm natured type of father, heater his circumstances were. I didn’t ask anything about family, just how she was doing herself. There was something very resourceful and stoic in her, some kids who gave this great burden of responsibility, and are temperamentally suited, go in to become the best of citizens, however unfair their path in life was and how much of their childhood was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭growleaves

How is your own shitposting any better than what you're complaining about?

Pyongyang had problems with cannibalism when there was a famine there in the 1990s. Yet according to your link based on compiled "crowd-sourced data" it is peas in a pod with Dublin? I don't think so.

The below link has North Korea as having the 29th highest murder rate in the world - higher than Sudan, Rwanda and Burkina Faso:

"SOURCES:Annexe I of the Small Arms Survey 2007 ; United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Source tables; United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime."

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Crime/Violent-crime

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

The site I used is referenced by various UN sites and others like Human Rights Watch. I've no problem referencing it if they do, and as I said there are other sites that can provide the data.

It's also based on cities not countries.

So while I understand that you have difficulties reading some posts you are going out on a limb claiming its shítposting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Coming out of the Mater Hospital one night walking into the City Centre, I was hassled by a couple of junkies.

What I would have loved would have been for a cop to give them a good hiding with a truncheon and tasered for good measure.

Ah but no, those poor little junkies. They are human too. F* *k off.

Beat them to within an inch of their lives with a truncheon. Maybe they will remember not to be arseholes the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Off the cuff the benefit of it is that it would be a great equalizer within society and will instill values such as discipline and hard work into people who are not being thought those values at home.

Putting them through hell will build resilience but also working in a team environment will get rid of the us vs them chip on their shoulder so many people causing trouble seem to have. There may even be real friends out of it for life across different classes of society.

I can't see too many negatives with the idea for 6 months military service for under 23s. Our Defence Forces are struggling badly and have admitted they can't defend the country. Having a militarily trained and disciplined population seems like a positive step in that context.

It would be a great way to break down barriers between communities and destroy some prejudices on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can't see too many negatives with the idea for 6 months military service for under 23s.

Obviously you can’t see the disadvantages if you’re trying to sell the idea as beneficial to society in the first place. Meanwhile, there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that mandatory military service and boot camps and all the rest of that other ill-thought out nonsense tends to have the opposite of it’s intended effect:

The effects of mandatory military conscription on the education, crime, and labour market outcomes of the draftees are not clear. This column suggests that the heterogeneous nature of the effects could be an explanation for the lack of consensus. The findings show that military service increases the likelihood of future crimes, mostly among males from disadvantaged backgrounds and with a previous criminal history. The only positive effect of conscription for this group is the decrease in disability benefits and the number of sick days. 

https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/what-are-effects-mandatory-military-conscription-crime-and-labour-market

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I get your point. It's just my thinking what's point of sending some young guy/girl off somewhere for 6 months/a year when they've cause no hassle and just want to work, go to college or do both.

I suppose I'm sort of bias(If that's the correct phrase). I've seen a few of the tough troublesome lads head off to the army in Ireland/UK to straighten them out and they all land back the same after a few months. However I suppose your idea might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

These boot camp and cutting dole fantasies have been on boards.ie for 20 years, I wish you all would stop going on about them, it's never going to happen.

But they'll have a bit of firearms training and hand to combat training. What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Give them vouchers instead of cash.

Take away some of their freedom. There has to be consequences to actions, otherwise actions repeat themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,079 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The two times I've been through Temple Bar in the last half-year or so, there's been a crowd of scaldies outside McDonalds with their faces covered and hands down their jocks. Probably the same gang you're talking about. And this was during the day.

During the day no less!? In public?

Will you stop. I was their yesterday afternoon. nothing untoward i saw.

I'm really beginning to believe people are scared of their own shadows. Not just Dublin.

I'm going up to buy milk now while walking through unlit lane ways. Pray for me.

I'm a robust enough looking fella and it's not like they were going to try and intimidate me, but a high-percentage of first-time visitors will go through Temple Bar. A dozen scaldies with hands on their mickeys and their faces covered is not a good look for a city.

Gardai should be there and disperse them for loitering - and probably also tell them to take their paws of their cocks and wash their hands.

Hanging around isn't illegal. Seen worse from tourists.

Edit: Commenting on underage genitalia may not be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

This is almost definitely the group that kicked the **** out of these 3 blokes. But sure it's grand because you are alright. Let them deal bro

You've seen tourists with their faces covered fondling themselves? Do tell...

Loitering giving rise to intimidation ("reasonable apprehension to the safety of persons" is what's in the law) is indeed fact covered in legislation, and gives Gardai the power to disperse, and then arrest if they refuse to disperse.*

*Public Order Act 1994

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Our govmt are solely concerned with the EC agenda: unbounded immigration, climate warming, social issues, Ukraine war mongering, etc. They are not even pretending to listen to voters (see housing, hate speech, health, crime) and that is why they keep looking for more personal security for politicians. FG did the risk analysis quite some time ago and determined poor Irish communities should be left to rot. Remember how Leo told us the welfare cheats, cheat us all. And so here we are. Traitors. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement